Thanksgiving Day is a joyous family festival that is celebrated with a lot of enthusiasm and fervor in the US, Canada and other countries. Being a family occasion, feasting is an integral and most delightful part of Thanksgiving Day celebrations. Before serving the main course, it is essential to build up the appetite of your guests by serving some of the delicious Thanksgiving appetizers, few of them being soups, tarts, dips, bruschetta and salads. Given here are some soups that can be prepared easily and quickly on the holiday. Enjoy your Thanksgiving by preparing and enjoying some of the lavish soup recipes with your near and dear ones. Do explore the following soup ideas for a perfect Thanksgiving appetizer.
Recipes For Thanksgiving Soups
Turkey and Tortilla Soup
- 3 (6-inch) Corn Tortillas (cut in strips)
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 cup Red or Green Salsa
- 2 (14-ounce) cans Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Turkey (cooked and cubed)
- 1 large Zucchini (coarsely chopped)
- Lime Wedges
- Sour Cream
- Slice the corn tortillas into long strips.
- Take a skillet. Heat oil in it and cook the tortillas until they turn crisp.
- Place a saucepan on medium heat and add chicken broth and salsa. Bring it to boil.
- Now, add the turkey and zucchini and stir for a while.
- Garnish the soup with tortillas, cilantro and lime wedges.
- Serve hot with sour cream.
Turkey Vegetable and Herb Dumpling Soup
- 8 cups Turkey Broth
- 4 cups Roasted Turkey Meat (skinless)
- 1 (10 oz) can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Celery Stalk (medium)
- 1 Carrot (medium, diced)
- 1 Turnip (peeled, diced)
- 1 Onion (medium, diced)
- 4 tsp Dried Parsley (divided)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1½ cup Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ¾ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Dried Rosemary
- ¾ cup Milk
- Place a saucepan on heat and add turkey broth, tomatoes, celery, turnip, onion and carrots.
- Add the bay leaf and sprinkle some dried parsley.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and simmer on low flame, for about 6 hours.
- Now add the turkey meat and cook the vegetable broth for another hour.
- Mix flour, salt, milk, rosemary, parsley and baking powder in a bowl and knead to dough.
- Form small, round-shaped dumplings and place in the saucepan.
- Cover and cook the soup for 20 minutes, until the dumplings turn coarse.
Pumpkin Coconut Soup
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 3 tbsp Vegan Margarine
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can Coconut Milk
- 1 (15-ounce) can Pumpkin
- ½ tsp Curry
- ½ tsp Ginger
- Take a large saucepan and add margarine. Sauté onions in it for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add vegetable broth, coconut milk, pumpkin, curry, ginger and salt and stir well.
- Reduce the flame to low and simmer the soup for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with a garnishing of your choice.
Sweet Potato Ginger Soup
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 2 quarts Ice Water
- 2 ½ pounds Sweet Potato
- Boiling Water
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ginger (shredded)
- 1 pint Milk
- 1 pint Half And Half
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Brandy
- 2 tsp Mint (chopped)
- Mix flour and ice water in a bowl, to form a paste.
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes in half.
- Drop them in flour and water paste and keep aside for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the paste and put them in boiling water pot.
- Add salt and fresh ginger and boil the potatoes until they turn tender.
- Remove the potatoes and retain the liquid.
- Process the potatoes in a blender.
- To the retained liquid, add the blended potatoes and mix to form a thick consistency.
- Add milk, half and half, sugar and brandy and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot after garnishing with mint.