Soda has become one of the most popular drinks consumed by people these days, especially in the form of soft drinks. With the emergence of soft drink manufacturing and exporting brands like Coca Cola and Pepsi, soda has become like the trademark representing the younger generation or the ‘generation next’. Canned and handy for regular use, soda has, in fact, replaced the usage of water to a great extent. It is consumed by people of all age groups, be it kids, youngsters or adults. Healthy drinks, like water, juice and milk, have completely been dislodged by soda. People have started guzzling down bottles of soda, without thinking, even slightly, about any potential side effects. Though most of us are not fully aware of it, drinking too much soda has some pretty serious side effects, some of which can be even life threatening. To enlighten you on the issue, we have listed the side effects of drinking soda, in the lines below.
Risks Of Drinking Soda
- Soda has been known to comprise certain chemicals that make you feel dehydrated. This is the reason why, even after drinking lots of soda, you continue to feel thirsty.
- Every can of soda contains carbonic acid, which is a highly corrosive material. Hence, regular and frequent consumption of drinking soda can cause unimaginable damage to the human body.
- One of the prime side effects associated with the consumption of soda is that it is high in sugar content. This leads to the development of a number of health problems, like obesity and oral decay. Consumption of any form of aerated drink containing soda means that there is consumption of empty calories, which results in weight gain.
- There is high sugar content and too much fructose corn syrup in soda. Too much consumption of the drink can easily make you put on excessive weight.
- Soda does not have any nutritional value. Drinking it regularly means that you are just adding on empty calories.
- Excessive consumption of soda can result in high blood sugar, which can lead to faintness, rapid heart rate, and dehydration.
- Since soda contains too much sugar and acid, it can play havoc with your oral health. Not only does it dissolve the calcium out of tooth enamel, but can also cause a lot of cavities.
- Soda is also loaded with caffeine, which is a stimulant, the reason why it develops into an addiction soon. Consumption of excess of caffeine can cause irritability and restlessness.
- In case you are consuming soda from a can, you must be aware of the fact that aluminum has been found to be a contributing factor in Alzheimer’s disease, which is an incurable, degenerative and terminal mental condition.
- Caffeine removes calcium from our bodies. So, if you are drinking too much soda, you are also ingesting too much calcium, which ultimately will affect the strength of your bones.
- Irritability, restlessness, tension, insomnia, excitement and gastrointestinal disturbance are some other side effects of caffeine, which often result from high consumption of soda.