Aromatherapy has become a familiar name in the arena of physical and mental health. It is a kind of therapy or treatment, which is carried out with the help of essential oils, extracted in condensed form from vital aromatic plants and herbs. The main principle behind aromatherapy is the use of smell, which has restorative effects on the body, mind and even the spirit. As children are extremely receptive and sensitive to smell, aromatherapy can prove to be quite effective in uplifting their spirits. Kids have a strong sense of smell, with the help of which they recognize their mothers at an early age as well. Thus, aromatherapy can really help in giving kids a healthy start and growth. However, caution needs to be exercised while choosing the right kind of oil for your baby, as different oils have distinct chemical composition, which determines their fragrance, color, volatility and the way they affects human system. Moreover, in case of kids, stick to mild oils only, that too in diluted form. Read on to know about the aromatherapy treatment for children in detail.
Aromatherapy Treatment For Children
Some of the essential oils that can be preferred for your children are listed below, along with their benefits:
- Use lavender oil for a good night sleep. Sprinkle some drops on your child’s pillow for a comfortable night. It can also be used to ease aches, such as earaches and headaches, and even insect bites.
- For healthy skin, use sandalwood, geranium and rose oils. Neroli oil, derived from orange blossom, can also be used, as it serves as a skin softener, toner and a natural astringent.
- Add two drops of essential lemon and grapefruit oil to a tub of warm water and mix well. Add cold water to the amount, which will make the water just warm enough for a bath. Bathe your child in this water. This is highly refreshing and will also serve as a good cleanser.
- For bruises and burns, use fennel and lavender oils. Cedarwood, eucalyptus and tea tree oils work excellent for treating coughs in children.
- For constipation, black pepper oil can be used and for scars, frankincense oil can be applied.
- Cardamom seed and chamomile oils are good treatment for indigestion. Children can be relieved of the discomforts of indigestion, by these oils.
- If you child is suffering from sore throat, you can give him ginger, lavender or thyme oil.
- You can massage your children with fennel, chamomile and Melissa oils. Such massages will help in healthy growth of the children.
- Supervise your children when they are taking bath in the water mixed with essential oils. Never allow them to do it by themselves.
- Always use mild concentration of the essential oils, when you are using them for your children.
- Make sure to dilute the essential oils in the water, before using them on the children. Be judicious about the quantity and concentration of the oils, or else they can cause side effects in your children. For instance, importer dilution of citrus oil can lead to skin irritation.
- For extra precaution, always check with a qualified aroma therapist, regarding the quality of oil and usage with children.