Every one of us is aware of the healing process known as aromatherapy, owing to its wide usage in the field of holistic healing. However, many of us are not aware of the term 'aromatherapy blending', as to what it is. Aromatherapy blending is basically the process of combining different types of aromatherapy essential oils, carrier oils, absolutes, CO2s, herbs and, sometimes, water, for the purpose of achieving varied results. Under the purview of Aromatherapy blending, there are mainly two types of options available to use. One is aromatic blending and the second is therapeutic blending. Let us know about the two types of blending in detail.
Aromatic blending basically deals with creating different blends, for the purpose of generating varied aromas. For this, one has to try out different mixtures to achieve the right kind of aroma one desires. However, it has often been witnessed that essential oils belonging to the same category usually go well with each other. After achieving the right type of aroma, you need to mix it with carrier oils and store in glass bottles for usage.
Basic Essential Oil Categories
- Floral (like lavender oil, neroli oil, jasmine oil)
- Woodsy (like pine oil, cedar oil)
- Earthy (like oakmoss oil, vetiver, patchouli)
- Herbaceous (like marjoram oil, rosemary oil, basil oil)
- Minty (like peppermint oil, spearmint oil)
- Medicinal/Camphorous (like eucalyptus oil, cajuput oil, tea tree oil)
- Spicy (like nutmeg oil, clove oil, cinnamon oil)
- Oriental (like ginger oil, patchouli oil)
- Citrus (like orange oil, lemon oil, lime oil)
Basic Aromatic Blending Combinations
- Floral oils blend well with spicy, citrus and woodsy oils.
- Woodsy oils blend well with all categories.
- Spicy and oriental oils blend well with floral, oriental and citrus oils. Be careful not to overpower the blend with the spicy or oriental oils.
- Minty oils blend well with citrus, woodsy, herbaceous and earthy oils.
Therapeutic blending focuses on preparing blends containing therapeutic properties. Such blends are used to aid us in particular emotional or physical condition. Though they are meant to serve healing purposes, it is essential to have a pleasant aroma as well. For preparing therapeuticaromatherapy blends, you have to use selected essential oils, which are meant to treat specific medical conditions. It is also necessary to be careful to make sure the oils do not have any contradictions or safety issues with regard to other aspects of life.
When creating therapeutic blends, it is very necessary for you to keep in mind that the oils you have used do not end up clashing with your desired goals. Let us take the example of the condition in which you are suffering from severe period cramps and also have trouble sleeping. In this case, you will have to create a blend that provides relief from cramps and can also be used right before bedtime. If by any chance, you end up using peppermint oil (which provides relief from menstrual cramps), forget about sleeping. This is because the oil is energizing in nature. Thus, it is very necessary to choose the oils carefully.