A lot of caution while required for buying aromatherapy products, as there is wide disparity prevalent in the market for the same. There can be misguidance with regard to the authenticity and therapeutic action of the various products, which can lead to health related problems. Different aromatherapy products differ on various grounds and can be bought from various stores. These two are amongst the main reasons which lead to confusion and difficulty. Apart from this, there are a number of other considerations that should be kept in mind while buying aromatherapy products. Read on further and get some tips on how to buy aromatherapy products.
Buying Aromatherapy Products
- The first question you need to ask yourself before buying any aromatherapy product is the purpose you need it for. You can do this with the help of an aromatherapy book or practitioner, who will guide you to the product that would suffice for your need.
- After you have decided about the product you have to buy, the next thing to consider is the place to buy it from. Aromatherapy products are available at herb shops, health food shops, supermarkets, drug stores, cosmetic shops, open-air markets, internet and special aromatherapy stores. Amongst all the options, it is best to buy products from herb stores and health food stores.
- Before buying any aromatherapy product, carefully examine its label. This will tell you a great deal about its authenticity.
- Watch out for words such as ‘fragrance oil’, ‘nature identical oil’, or ‘perfume oil’. These words are indicative that the product available is not a pure, single essential oil.
- At the time of buying the product, make sure you check on the manufacture date. Essential oils that have been manufactured and sealed since a long time tend to lose their therapeutic effects and the aroma as well.
- While buying essential oils, check the bottle in which they have been stored. Avoid oils that are stored in clear glass bottles, since such bottles allow light to damage them. Instead, buy oils that are stored in amber or other dark-colored glass bottles. This would ensure the longevity and quality of the oil.
- Try to avoid buying essential oils if the bottle does not list their botanical (Latin name), country of origin or method of extraction. This is important because the multiple varieties of oils have different therapeutic properties. While the country of origin determines the resulting properties of the oil, the extraction process establishes the usage of the oil.
- Another thing worth considering is the price of the aromatherapy products. Though low price would be tempting for you, make sure that you do not sacrifice on the quality of the oil.
- Remember, the prices of the products would vary with the production method, type of plant, part of plant used, country of origin, healing properties etc. Therefore, if you find the prices of all the range of products to be similar, be cautious.
- Some products are derived from exotic plants and need a large quantity of it to derive a little. Such products are specifically quite expensive. So, do not get deterred by the high price tag.