Talk about imparting sex education to children and you are bound to get clashing viewpoints from people no matter where you are in the world. The term is actually quite a broad one used to describe teachings about human sexual anatomy, sexual reproduction, sexual intercourse and other aspects related to human sexual behavior. While sex education is already a part of a number of Western countries such as the United States, its implementation in Indian schools recently kicked up a massive discussion. However, the proponents of sex education in schools usually underscore the following benefits / advantages in support of their view. What makes it necessary in schools is the hesitation on the part of the parents to open up a discussion on the so-called ‘forbidden’ subject. In this time when there is an alarming growth in the number of sexual abuses and molestation of women, it is indeed the need of the hour to impart the relevant knowledge to our next generation, so that they become better equipped to face the threats from the outer world. Read on.
Importance of Sex Education In Schools
- Youngsters usually derive information on sex and related subjects from sources like friends, books, the media comprising advertising, television, magazines and the Internet. The problem is that these sources may or may not really provide them correct and accurate information. As such, sex education will help in transferring authentic information and in the process also correct any misinformation that they may have apart from adding to their already existing knowledge.
- Sex education imparted through schools can prove to be a significant and effective method of improving the youngsters’ sex-related knowledge, attitude and behavior.
- Sex education in school is important because many parents are shy about talking / teaching their children on this subject.
- Educating children on sex related issues also requires one to know how to broach the subject, what information to impart and what to hold back. All these can be carefully handled by a trained sex educator.
- It is a fact that more and more teens these days are engaging into premarital sex. This further underscores the need for sex education to students. This will help them make better informed decisions about their personal sexual activities.
- Many argue that sex education also helps to lessen risk behaviors in teenagers like engaging in unprotected sex which result in unwanted pregnancies and STDs.
- Imparting proper sexual education helps in preventing or controlling diseases such as HIV/AIDS.
- Sexual education stresses on the importance of abstinence and contraceptive methods which also includes the use of condoms.
- It stresses on the role of abstinence and contraceptive methods, including the use of condoms.
- Growing cases of child abuse which includes inappropriate touching, voyeurism, fondling, pornography and forced intercourse makes sexual education a necessity so that a child or a teenager identifies it and prevents such acts.
- Knowledge is power; relevant sex education provides this knowledge which in turn increases confidence.
- A sexually educated child possesses more respect for the opposite sex, sanctity of marriage and in parental responsibilities, especially at an age when they turn curious and inquisitive about the other gender. They handle puberty better than the uneducated ones. It changes his or her overall attitude when they turn more tolerant of the behavior patterns of others.
- Not educating our kids about sex would lead them to gain wrong information from their peers and media which might have devastating consequences.
- An effective tool in the developmental process of a child or a teenager, sex education makes him or her better equipped to deal with the immediate environment and the threats which could emerge.
- Humans are curious animals and young people are exploratory as an expression of their intrinsic curiosity. Peer pressure and the media have enormous influence in the lives of the so called generation Y, and if we don’t teach them about sex, somehow they would learn and maybe learn in a way that may have devastating consequences.
- Sex education answers almost all the questions regarding the changes which happen in their body including the hormonal changes. It makes them understand the differences and avoids the tendency to explore things on their own.
- Proper and relevant sexual education helps in dispelling myths regarding sexuality.
- Providing sexual education to teenagers breaks the ice and enables them to discuss about the topic of sex in open. They feel free to go home and open up to their parents in case of they have doubts. In short, kids will not have the feeling of sex being taboo to be discussed in open.