Hardwood flooring suits almost any and every type of home décor, right from contemporary to traditional. Available in three different varieties - strip, plank and parquet, it looks great and has many options as far as the type of wood is concerned. However, wooden floors are quite expensive to install and also require high maintenance. One of the main problems, in case of wood floors, comprise of burn marks, which leave an ugly stain on the former. In case you are suffering from the same problem and require a solution for it, the following lines will come handy, providing you instructions on how to remove burns from wood floors.
Removing Burn Marks On Hardwood Flooring
- Safety Glasses
- Razor Blade
- Wire Brush
- Tung Oil
- Work Cloth
- Steel Wool
- First of all, you need to put on the safety gear - kneepads and safety glasses. This is to ensure your safety throughout the cleaning process.
- With the help of a pocketknife, scrape the burn mark. This will help you assess the damage and ascertain how deep the burn goes.
- Placing the tip of the knife on the burnt area, carefully grind away the burned wood, going with the grain of the wood.
- Now, lightly brush the area. Again, make sure that you brush with the grain of the wood and do not end up with deep scratches on the floor.
- Making use of a dry paintbrush, remove the debris from the burnt area.
- Next, use the corner tip of the razor to remove the smaller specks of damage from the floor.
- Again, use the paintbrush, to remove the debris.
- Take a clean towel and dip it in tung oil. Using the towel, dab a bit of tung oil on the cleaned area. This will help restore its color.
- If you feel that the area needs smoothness, use the steel wool pad lightly.
- Finally, apply tung oil once again and see the results.