An insect repelling essential oil is a substance that is applied to skin, clothing or other surfaces to prevent insects from landing or climbing on that surface. Such oils are drawn from plants, flowers and trees and they are highly concentrated in nature. Insect-repelling essential oils block the insect’s sensory organs with heavy, bulky molecules; in turn keep them at bay. This further help in preventing and controlling the outbreak of insect-borne diseases, such as malaria, west Nile fever, bubonic plague and Lyme disease. Some of the oils that help in repelling insects and mosquitoes include lemongrass, eucalyptus, peppermint, clove, lavender, cedar wood, tea tree, castor, citronella and thyme. Read on to know how to use essential oils to repel insects & mosquitoes.
Making Insect And Mosquito Repellent With Essential Oils
- Mix one part of essential oil with 10 parts of vodka, rubbing alcohol, witch hazel or olive oil. Pour the solution in a spray bottle and shake well before each use.
- Combine together two ounces of distilled water with two ounces of olive oil and whisk well. Add 120 drops of essential oil to the mixture. Apply this lotion every time you are likely to get exposed to insects and mosquitoes.
- Add a few drops of essential oil to your shampoo and liquid soap. This will offset the added perfumes and fragrances that attract insects.
- Mix one cup of water with one cup of isopropyl alcohol. Add ¼ to ½ teaspoon of catnip oil. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and shake well before each use.
- Mix 6 drops each of peppermint and tea tree oil with 9 drops of eucalyptus radiata. Apply topically to the exposed skin, as needed.
- To keep away from aphids staying on plants, make a solution by mixing 10 drops of spearmint and 15 drops of orange essential oil, in 2 quarts of salt water. Pour the solution in a spray bottle and spray regularly on plants.
- Mix together 10 drops of peppermint and 5 drops of cypress, with ½ cup of salt water, in a spray bottle. Shake the bottle well and spray on areas where cockroaches live.
- Smear a line of peppermint or spearmint across the kitchen counter or floor to prevent ants from appearing in your kitchen. In case you already have ants invading your place, draw a line of this oil across them and they will turn back.
- Mix one or two drops of lemon essential oil with a carrier oil, such as sweet almond, wheatgerm, olive oil, apricot kernel, avocado or other plant or vegetable oil. Apply to all your exposed body parts, to keep away insects.
- Mix 20 to 25 drops of essential oil (cinnamon, eucalyptus, citronella or castor) with 2 tablespoon of carrier oil or alcohol like olive oil, sunflower oil, witch hazel or vodka. Apply onto your skin and clothing, avoiding the sensitive eye area, to keep the mosquitoes at bay.