Whether it is the mercury rising for prickly summers ahead or dropping to indicate the coming of dry and desiccated winters, one thing which is common to both the conditions is the problem of dry chapped lips. Apart from being hurtful, cracked lips are utmost embarrassing and can make anyone feel uncomfortable amidst a crowd of people. In case you have sensitive lips and are looking for treating them before they fall prey to the abnormal weather conditions, you are at the right place. In the following lines, we have provided tips on how to treat chapped lips.
Natural Remedies For Chapped Lips
- Water is one of the most beneficial ways of treating chapped lips. Remember, less water intake causes dryness in both skin and the lips. So, the best bet would be to keep the body well-hydrated.
- Apply a layer of petroleum jelly or lip balm on the lips. It would not only bring a glossy effect to the lips, but also help them remain smooth. While you can apply it throughout the day, then best time would be to apply before going to bed.
- If you are not too keen on applying lip balm, applying pure ghee or butter into the naval would be extremely beneficial. Apart from keeping the lips smooth, it also heals the cracks.
- Another option would be to soak red rose petals in raw milk and keep it for a few hours. Thereafter, make a paste out of it and apply on the lips. Apart from healing the chapped lips, it would also help retain the lost redness.
- Milk cream has proved to be valuable in treating dry chapped lips. It would remove the dry skin and also make the lips smooth.
- Cucumber is an excellent choice for curing dry chapped lips. Cut a slice of it and rub it over your lips.
- Another effective method to cure dry chapped lips would be to use neem. Grind a few neem leaves and squeeze out the juice. Apply this juice on the lips to heal the cracked and chapped lips.
- Wrong food habits sometimes are the main cause for cracked and chapped lips. Increase in the consumption of foods rich in vitamin A such as carrots, green leafy vegetables and tomatoes, legumes, whole grains and nutritional yeast.
- An effective home remedy would be to add a few drops of honey in a tsp of glycerin. Apply this paste before going to bed. An alternative would be to crush a few red rose petals in glycerin.
- Aloe Vera gel has been proved useful in treating dry chapped lips. Apply a layer of this gel over the dry cracked lips.
- A sun screen lip balm or moisturizer can be effective way to cure dry chapped lips. This would help prevent dry patches and also heal the dryness of the lips.
- Make a solution of water and salt. Now, dip a cotton swab in the solution and rub it gently over the lips. Though it may cause irritation initially, over time, it would definitely prove to be helpful in curing your dried lips.
- Women, who adore their lips with lipstick, must remember that sometimes even lipstick can cause peeling of the lips. Make sure the lipstick you choose is friendly to your skin type.
- Lastly, do not wet your lips with saliva. Believe it or not, it not only makes the lips dark in color, but also makes it lose the moisture.