A squeaky hinge door is something that all of us have experienced in our life, at one point of time or the other. It is so irritating when you wake up in the middle of the night because your partner went to the bathroom (and opened that door with the squeaky hinge). Why don’t you just fix the hinge and get rid of the problem once and for all! How? We will tell you how. Go through the following lines and get tips on how to silence a squeaky door hinge. Follow them and ensure that your sleep is not disturbed the next time.
Fixing Squeaky Door Hinges
With Petroleum Jelly
- Door Hinge
- Petroleum Jelly
- 8d Nail
- First of all, you need to close the door whose squeaky hinge disturbs you day in and day out. Make sure that you do not open the door till the whole process of silencing the hinge is complete.
- Now, start loosening the door hinges, one hinge at a time. For the purpose, tap an 8d nail up underneath the hinge pin, with the help of a hammer.
- When you feel that pin is loose enough, it is the time to pull it out of the hinge completely.
- In this step, you have to lightly coat the hinge pin with petroleum jelly. Get the jelly and apply a small amount of it on the top of the pin slot as well as on the door hinge.
- The best part of using petroleum jelly, rather than any other lubricant, is that it doesn’t make as much as a mess as the latter.
- After the lubrication part is over, you have to slide the hinge pin back into the slot. Thereafter, wipe off the excess petroleum jelly on the hinge, if there is any.
- Repeat the above steps with all the other hinges on the door as well. However, make sure to work on one hinge at a time. Otherwise, you run the risk of having the door fall off the wall entirely.
- After you have lubricated all the hinges of the door, it is the time to open and close it a few times. This will allow the petroleum jelly to seep into the hinge joints and get rid of the squeaky noise.
- First of all, go inside the bathroom and get a bar of soap. In case you have to fix the hinges of a single door only, even the last little bit of a well used bar of soap will suffice.
- Hold the bar of soap in your hand and start rubbing it up and down the hinges, making sure to press it firmly into the cracks.
- While you are applying the soap on the hinges, do make sure to open and close the door gently, at the same time.
- After you are sure that you have really worked the soap into the hinge, use a cloth to wipe off the excess soap.
- Now, move the door. If it still makes a squeaky noise, repeat the process, on all hinges on the door.