In the present times, the hair care market is virtually flooded with products that claim to secure the glistening shine and beauty of the lock, removing any kind of damage. However, the sad part of the story is that in reality, there are no products that can relieve the damage completely, forget the claim to do so permanently. In such circumstances, the ideal way to maintain the shine and texture of the hair would be to take preventive measures. Split ends make up the most common hair problem for people, nowadays. They not only stop the hair growth, but also roughen the hair, making them look dull and luster-less. In case you are suffering from the problem of split ends, the best way to solve it would be to prevent it in the first place. In the following lines, we have listed effective tips on how to prevent split ends.
Tips For Preventing Split Ends
- Chemical-free should be the mantra for people who want to prevent split ends. Remember, beauty is best when it is natural. So, let your hair be natural as well. Applying hair colors and dyes only give temporary glow to your hair. With the time, the effect dies and your hair becomes dull.
- For those who swim regularly, split ends would be a common problem. This is because almost all the swimming pools contain a handsome amount of chlorine, which is hazardous for hair. Make sure you rinse and shampoo your hair after swimming. Wearing a tight swim cap would also be beneficial.
- Many-a-times, the water that comes through your tap is full of chemicals that cause split ends. There are filters available in the market that would reduce the amount of chlorine in your water, thus helping you prevent spilt ends.
- In case you live in an area where the water is hard, you would know that the water you get has high concentration of calcium carbonate in it. Install a water softening system.
Brushing & Combing
- Teasing orback combing your hair is a strict no-no. It is the most dangerous type of brushing, as it pulls up the scales of your hair, thereby breaking it off.
- For those who have thick hair, using a pick or wide-toothed comb would be ideal. Remember, your comb should be such that it untangles all your hair without ripping them off or causing split ends.
- Did you know that too much of brushing or combing your hair leads to split ends? It is not necessary for you to comb your hair 100 times before leaving your home. Ideally, our hair requires only few brushes to create the desired effect.
- Be gentle and kind to your locks and they would stand out automatically. Never rip off your hair while it is entangled. While it is best to brush your hair after they have dried, curly hair is an exception and should be combed while still wet.
- Talking about hair accessories, do not use clips and bands that tear off your precious hair, at the time of removal.
- Just as your skin, ultraviolet rays damage the hair as well. While moving out in the sun, wear a hat. This would ensure the safety of your hair.
- For those with long locks, making a bun and then wearing a hat would be an ideal option to explore.
- These days, a lot of conditioners available in the market contain sunscreen. Get one that suits your hair type and apply it before every outing.
Washing & Drying
- At the time of buying shampoo and conditioner, make sure you get one that suits your hair type.
- Wash your hair properly. It is best to only wash the scalp hair, leaving the length to hang down your back. While rinsing, the shampoo would trickle down the length of the hair, giving it the much needed washing.
- Deep conditioning of the hair is a must. Put on leave in conditioners and massage with oil regularly.
- Just like washing, drying your hair carefully goes a long way in protecting your hair and preventing split ends. Gently squeeze your hair with a towel to get rid of the excess water. Once the excess water has been removed, let your hair lose and allow it to air dry.
- Do not use hair dryer, hot tongs or any other artificial way of drying your hair regularly. They cause split ends and remove the moisture from your hair completely.