Nachos, one of the delicious snacks that are popular all over the world, trace their origin to Mexico. It was somewhere in the 1940s that Ignacio "Nacho" Anaya invented the dish, for the diners frequenting his Tex-Mex restaurant. The original nachos were made from fried tortilla chips, which has been covered with melted cheese and jalapeño peppers. With time, the popularity of the snack grew and it came to be relished by people across the globe. Considered to be a part of the Tex-Mex cuisine, even today, nachos are basically made from tortilla chips (also known as totopos), to which cheese is added. However, you might find other ingredients, like onion, black olives or jalapenos, in the recipe as well. Are you interested to know how to make nachos at home? If yes, then go through the recipes given below and find step-by-step instructions on making the dish.
Easy Nachos Recipes
- 30 large Tortilla Chips
- 6-8 ounces Jack or Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cumin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Black Olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup Green Onions, with tops
- 1/4 cup Bell Pepper
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp Jalapeno Pepper, chopped (optional)
- Get a microwave-safe plate and place all the tortilla chips on it. You can also use two plates, keeping 15 chips on each one of them.
- In a plastic zip bag, put the shredded cheese and spices. Now, close the zip and shake all the ingredients, to mix them well.
- After you feel that the cheese and spices have been completely mixed, open the zip bag and shake the mixture over the chips.
- Now, all you need to do is keep the chips in the microwave and cook them at 50 percent power, for about 2 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Remove the nachos from microwave and serve hot, with toppings kept on the side.
- If you want to serve nachos as the main dish, do not forget to add 1½ cups cooked shredded chicken or meat to the ziplock bag, along with cheese and spices.
- Tortilla Chips
- Jack or Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Green or Black Olives
- Taco Sauce
- Sour Cream
- Cubed Tomatoes
- Chilies, canned or fresh
- Arrange a layer of tortilla chips on a microwave-safe plate. Now, add salsa and taco sauce on the top.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the chip. You can use cheddar cheese, jack cheese or a combination of the two, for the purpose.
- Place the plate in the microwave, turn the heat to high and let the chips sit there for 45 seconds, or until the cheese gets melted.
- Bring the plate out of the oven and top with cubed tomato, sliced avocado, chopped chives, diced black olives and canned or fresh chilies.