With all the celebrities from Paris Hilton to Lindsay Lohan everyone is donning a pair of fingerless gloves. Tipped as the hottest accessory of today, fingerless gloves are grabbing attention from all the fashion designers, boutiques, retailers, and aficionada. They are elegant, practical, and chic; however, there is more to them than just the functions. Been in fashion two decades back, fingerless gloves have revived with a bang. Considered as hobo and punk during those days, they are worn by even the choicest of fashion connoisseurs today. They can be worn with practically everything and can easily up the fashion statement of a person by volumes. Explore the steps given below to know how to make fingerless gloves.
Image: soxophone player@flickr
How To Knit Fingerless Gloves
Making Fingerless Gloves From Sweater
- Take an old sweater with full sleeves. Now decide on how long you would want your fingerless gloves. It can be either over your wrists, past your elbows and up to one third of your forearm. Whatever you decide on just make sure that the cuffs of the sweater sleeve ends at the base of your fingers and should cover your palms.
- After you have decided on the length, cut the arms of the sweater to the desired length. Make sure that you cut very finely and use a good scissors for that. After it is cut, you can either leave the end of the sleeve like that, or you can stitch the edges with laces.
- Now carefully turn the sleeve inside out and wear them to see whether the thumb cutout should go. Generally, the thumb is made where the cuffs meet the wrist.
- Now take out the gloves from your hand and carefully cut about ½ inch of the seam where the thumb goes. Repeat it with the other glove too.
- Now wear the glove and see whether it fits perfectly. Your fingerless gloves are ready to be donned and to show off.
Making Fingerless Gloves From Long Sleeved Shirt
- Take an old long sleeved tee shirt or a shirt of the fabric of your choice. Lay it flat on the ground and cut it in the same length you want for your fingerless gloves.
- Now carefully turn the sleeve inside out. Remember to take care not to stretch out the fabric.
- When you can see the seam, remove half inch below the sleeve cuff and keep the hole for the thumb.
- Now turn it right side out and your glove is ready. You can further adorn it with big buttons or brooches.