You can create a customized aroma by making colognes at home. Homemade natural colognes are easy to make and less expensive than the ones bought from stores. They work as mood enhancers and also help you feel relaxed and awakened. These natural colognes are very lovely and can also be used for gifting purposes. This article brings you some recipes for making cologne naturally. Read on and know how to make colognes with an exotic aroma, which make you feel sensational and glamorous.
Image: Jenn Durfey@flickr
Homemade Natural Cologne Recipes
Eau de Citrus
- 1/2 cup Vodka
- 1/4 cup Distilled Water
- 1 tbsp Orange Flower Water
- 10 drops Lemon Oil
- 2 drops Orange Oil
- Take a saucepan and combine vodka, distilled water and orange flower water in it. Place it over heat and bring the mixture to boil.
- After the mixture boils, remove it from heat and add lemon and orange oil into it. Stir the mixture, until the ingredients are mixed well.
- Allow it to cool at room temperature and pour in the spray bottle for use.
Essential Oils Based Cologne
- Glass Container (with a lid)
- Distilled Water
- 3 to 4 oz. Unscented Rubbing Alcohol/Vodka
- 1 oz. Glycerin
- Paper Towels
- Essential Oils
- Wash the glass container and its lid thoroughly. The container should have a tight lid to hold the scent in the bottle.
- Place the funnel on the top of the bottle and add 1 pint of distilled water, unscented rubbing alcohol/vodka and glycerin. The first two ingredients make the liquid of the cologne and provide a solvent. Glycerin is required as a fixing agent, which helps the cologne scent to last for long.
- Now, you have to decide what type of fragrance you want for the cologne. With the help of eyedropper, drop different combinations of essential oils on folded sheets of paper towel. Sniff the paper towel and determine the best fragrance. One needs to note here that the scent will smell stronger on the paper towels than in the cologne.
- After you have decided on the type of fragrance, add 4-8 drops of essential oils in the water mixture. Cap the bottle and shake it gently to mix the essential oils with the rest of the ingredients.
- Smell the cologne. Add more oil, if the scent is too weak, and if it is too intense, add more distilled water. The fragrance of the cologne will become intense over time.
- Rest the cologne bottle in a cool and dark place for about two weeks. Shake the bottle gently before using.
Testing the homemade cologne is important before beginning to use it. Check for any allergic reactions by applying a small amount of cologne on a small patch of skin on the back of your arm. Wait for 24 hours to see if there is any reaction.