Apple dumplings taste delicious and are really liked by children. For those who don’t want to consume extra sugar or are on a diet, artificial sweetener can be used. Apple dumplings are pretty easy to make and don’t require a lot of ingredients. The key to making great apple dumplings is to get the flour mixture right. After they are made, you can serve them warm, with ice-cream or milk poured over them, in a bowl. In fact, you can have apple dumplings in several ways, depending on your choice. Read the recipes given below and know how to make apple dumplings.
Apple Dumplings Recipe
- 2 Cups Enriched Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2/3 cup Shortening
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 6 Macintosh Apples (about 3-inch diameter)
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degree F. Light-grease a baking dish.
- Put the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl and mix the ingredients using a fork.
- Now, add the shortening in the bowl containing the mixed ingredients and simply pass the fork through the mixture.
- Put all the milk in the bowl at once and just moisten the apple dumpling mixture, using the fork.
- Place this mixture on a pastry board, which has been lightly flavored. Roll out the pastry, until it becomes large enough to cut out 6 inch squares, one for each apple.
- Peel the apples and cut them in two halves, while taking out the core of the apples.
- Hold the two halves of the apple together and place the apple on one of the 6-inch dough squares.
- Put some sugar on the apple, along with generous amounts of cinnamon and nutmeg. Fill the center of apple with these ingredients and put some butter on the top.
- Moisten the edges of the dough square and fold the corners to the top of the apple, making sure that the edges meet at the top.
- Place the apples on a baking dish. If possible, position them in such a way that they are an inch apart. Put the baking dish in the pre-heated oven. Bake for 35 minutes.
- You can serve your mouth-watering dumplings while they are a little warm. Add apple dumpling sauce or a scoop of ice cream at the top.
Apple Dumpling Sauce Recipe
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/8 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 Tsp Nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp Butter or Margarine
- Put sugar, water, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small saucepan and place it over flame. Bring it to boiling point.
- Once the mixture starts boiling, add butter or margarine and stir until the ingredient melts.
- Remove the saucepan from flame and set the sauce aside, to be used later on.