California Roll is a delicious food that originated in Japan. It is a kind of sushi roll, which is usually made inside out. Cucumber, crab meat and avocado form the principal ingredients in the California roll. However, in some countries, mango is used in place of avocado and the crab salad is replaced with crab stick. Traditionally, nori is wrapped on the outer part of the sushi rolls. However, Ichiro Mashita, a sushi chef from Kaikan, brought in a variation in the procedure of making sushi rolls.
Ichiro Mashita made the sushi roll inside out and called it the California roll. He brought this change keeping in view the fact that the Americans disliked seeing and chewing nori on the outer part of the roll. It is Mashita who also substituted the avocado for tuna and brought in a different flavor with the California roll. In fact, he also inspired chefs across the globe to bring several variations to this roll and thus bring in the non-traditional fusion cuisine. Today, California roll is primarily responsible for the popularity of sushi roll throughout the world. With the recipe given below, know how to make the California roll at home.
California Roll Recipe
- Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Crab Meat
- Sharp Knife
- Plastic Wrap
- Bamboo Sushi Mat
- Soy Sauce
- Cook the rice in a bowl and keep aside, to let it cool down.
- Clean the crab meat properly. Boil it, adding a pinch of salt to the water, till it is cooked properly.
- Take the bamboo sushi mat and cover it with the plastic wrap. This will ensure that the rice does not stick to the mat.
- Now, cover the plastic wrap with a sheet of nori.
- Take half a cup of cooked rice and spread it evenly on the top of the nori.
- Turn the nori, in order to make the rice lay on the mat. Now, the nori is lying on the top.
- Cut the slices of avocado and spread them over the top of the nori, in a regular pattern.
- Break the crab meat into two equal pieces, lengthwise. Place them on the top of avocado slices, in such a manner that they are end to end with one another.
- It is the turn of cucumber next. Cut slices of the cucumber and place them next to the crab.
- Roll the mat by holding it from both the sides. Compress the roll so that it gets an even shape throughout.
- Sprinkle the top of the roll with the toasted sesame seeds.
- Cut the roll into eight equal pieces, by making use of a wet knife. The wet knife will prevent any sticking of the rice, while cutting the roll.
- Your California roll is now ready to be served. Serve it with soy sauce, wasabi and ginger.