It is said that there are many ways to barbecue chicken in the wrong way, but only one method to get it right. Chicken is one of the foods which, if left undercooked, can lead to food-borne illnesses very fast. Therefore, it can be a little tricky to barbecue chicken perfectly. However, with the right cooking method and certain important tips, you can barbecue chicken in the best possible way. This article brings you the right method for barbecuing chicken and some useful tips to make it supremely delicious. Read on to know how to prepare the best barbecued chicken.
Barbecued Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Pieces
- Charcoal or Gas Grill
- Marinade or Brine Solution
- Chicken Sauce
- 2 Platters
- The first step is to decide which type of chicken you want to barbecue. The cooking time will vary according to the chicken type you choose. While some may prefer boneless, skinless chicken breasts, others like chicken thighs or legs. If you have mixed up different variety of chicken pieces, cooking them will consume more time.
- The next step is to decide on the method you want to use to make the chicken ready for the grill. You can use a chicken sauce, such as teriyaki or lemon pepper, to marinate the chicken with. The other option is to set the chicken in salt water brine for several hours, so that it becomes moist.
- Now, set the grill to heat on a temperature of 350 degrees, or heat a charcoal grill and allow it to burn till a white coat of ash appears on all the coals.
- Once the grills are ready, rub the chicken with the seasoning you prefer, after removing it from the marinade or brine water. There are a variety of seasonings available, but salt and pepper are the ingredients used most commonly.
- Now, put the seasoned chicken pieces on the grate, in the grill. Lid the grill and open the lid to check the chicken pieces in 10 minutes. Then, turn over the chicken pieces and grill them for another 10 minutes.
- Move the pieces of chicken to the side of the grate, so that they do not receive direct heat. You can apply some barbecue sauce on the chicken pieces, if you want. Now, cook them on an internal temperature of 175 degrees and take them off the grill.
- Leave the barbecued chicken on a platter for about 10 minutes, before you serve it. This will help to keep the chicken juicy.
- You will have to adjust the cooking time according to the type of meat you are using. Dark meat (thighs and legs) takes longer than white meat (breasts and wings) to cook properly.
- Take care not to put the cooked meat on the same platter where you had kept raw chicken. It can lead to cross-contamination, resulting in food-borne illness.