Chowmein has grown to become quite popular amongst the Indian populace. It is basically a generic Chinese term for a dish of stir-fried noodles, which comes in many varieties. The original, Chinese chowmein is generally made of soft noodles. However, the chow mein prepared in westernized Chinese cuisine is made from thin crispy noodles. The chowmein has gained an important place in Indian Chinese cuisine. It was introduced by the Chinese population of Kolkata, which usually served Hakka noodles or noodles with gravy. Owing to the large number of vegetarian population, the Indian variant is specifically known as vegetable chowmein. It generally consists of noodles with cabbage, bamboo shoots, pea pods, green peppers and carrots. To know the recipe of Indian Chowmein, read on.
How to Make Indian Vegetable Chowmein
- 400 gm fresh noodles
- 5 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 7 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup cooked thinly sliced vegetables
- 1 large onion - thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Soya sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chopped celery
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp chili sauce
- Take a pan and pour water in it. Add salt and bring it to a boil.
- Now, add noodles into it and cook until they are 'bite like'. Just blanch, if fresh, and cook for some more time, if dry.
- After they have been desirably cooked, drain them immediately and cool under running water, till the noodles are thoroughly cooled. This stops the cooking of the noodles immediately.
- Now, add 1 tbsp of the oil into the noodles, so that they do not stick with each other, and leave in the strainer till required.
- Now take a pan and heat the rest of the oil in it.
- Put garlic mixture and onions in it, after the oil is hot.
- Stir fry over high heat, till onions become glossy.
- After this, add vegetables in it and stir.
- After the vegetable are sautéed, add Soya sauce, salt, celery, vinegar and chili sauce in it.
- Mix the ingredients well and now add the noodles.
- Stir-fry till the noodles are well mixed into the spices. All this should be done over high heat.
- Serve steaming hot.