High blood pressure is very common disease today owing to today’s lifestyle. Also called as hypertension, high blood pressure raison d'être ranges from obesity, lack of exercise, bad food habits, excessive alcohol intake, or smoking. It often runs in the family too. Although the symptoms of high blood pressure can be diagnosed medically, it is called ‘silent disease’ as it doesn’t have any signs or symptoms and is recognized only when the high blood pressure has reached a very advanced or life threatening effect. If you are suffering from high blood pressure, there are certain things, which you can do to lower it. Read on to know the tips for lowering your hypertension.
Tips For Lowering Blood Pressure
- There is no alternative to healthy eating. If you want to lower your blood pressure you need to stick to a healthy diet which include wholesome grains, fresh fruits and vegetables and provide right amount of carbohydrates, proteins, minerals and vitamins. You need to strictly avoid foods that are high in cholesterol, fat, and sodium.
- Exercise is your best friend if you want to lower your blood pressure. Incorporate exercises in your daily life for at least half an hour. Exercises like cardiovascular exercises, aerobics, strength training, jogging, walking etc will help you lower your high blood pressure.
- Stress is one of the main culprits of high blood pressure. Under chronic stress the cardiovascular system, goes in the state of overtaxing which results in high blood pressure. Don’t take unnecessary tensions and learn the stress management skill to help you lower your hypertension.
- If you are in a habit of smoking, then you may have to face high blood pressure. Quit smoking, there is no other way of lowering hypertension. With this, also avoid drugs and alcohol. Actually these bad habits, damage many organs in the body which in turn causes the build-up of fluids in the body. These extra fluids cause the heart to beat harder which increases the blood pressure.
- People, who have high blood pressure, are generally overweight. It just works on a simple principle that extra weight makes the heart works harder and thus causes high blood pressure. Maintain proper weight and if you are overweight, cut down your weight.
- Sodium helps in increasing fluids in the body, which makes the heart beat harder and increase the blood pressure. Salt is the main source of sodium so decrease the salt intake from your diet.
- If you already are suffering from high blood pressure then avoid caffeine too. Caffeine is a stimulator, which can raise the blood pressure in the body.
- According to one study, meditation along with a good diet helps in stabilizing the heart and helps in lowering the blood pressure. Incorporate yoga too in your daily life for better results.
- Lycopene is an antioxidant that helps in lowering the blood pressure. Lycopene is found in tomatoes and many other fruits and vegetables. Increase the intake of fruits and vegetables in your diet. Foods like broccoli also help in lowering blood pressure.
- You should certainly add Omega 3 essential fatty acids to your diet. A good source of these is flax oil and cod liver oil. You can also take supplements of fish tablets in your diet.
- Incorporate the DASH diet in your lifestyle to help you lower the high blood pressure. DASH stands for "Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension." which lays the emphasis on eating whole grains, poultry, fish, and nuts, fruits, vegetables, and low fat dairy foods with low saturated fat, total fat, and cholesterol.
- There are many herbs, which helps in lowering the blood pressure in your body. Rauwolfia, Turmeric, Ginkgo Biloba, Hawthorn Berry, Maitake, Olive Leaf, etc are well known for their beneficial assistance in case of high blood pressure.