When your eyes get puffy, it looks as if they have become surrounded by rings, very much like a pair of tires! They are also often accompanied by redness, itching and irritation as well. These puffy rings take away the freshness of your face and make you look dull and tired. You also give an impression of being exhausted and ill. Though people often consider it to be merely a beauty problem, it is actually much beyond that. It is a deep-sited result of your health problems and lifestyle complications. In order to know how to get rid of puffy eyes, you must know what the real causes behind it are.
Image: AlphaTangoBravo / Adam Baker@flickr
Causes Of Puffy Eyes
The reasons for puffy eyes may differ from person to person, with the main ones being:
- Disturbance in body’s fluid balance
- Hormonal fluctuations
- Changes in body mechanism, due to weather changes
- Infection or dermatitis
- Sinus or allergy
- Hereditary causes
Ways For Getting Rid Of Puffy Eyes
- Tap the puffy skin around your eyes with your ring finger, while gently applying cream to channelize the excess fluid to drain away.
- Keep your eye-creams in refrigerator. The chill will help reduce the puffiness around your eyes.
- You can use strips of potatoes, strawberries or cucumber around your eyes, to get rid of the puffiness.
- Fill a bowl with ice-cold milk. Soak cotton pad in it for sometime and then keep the dampened pads over your eyes, for about 20-25 minutes. Replace the pads and repeat 2-3 times.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid carbonated drinks. The water will help you kick out the toxins from your body and reduce puffiness.
- Restrict your nightlife and have fixed sleeping hours, about 8-9 hours, every day.
- If you are getting ready for college or office in the morning and your eyes look puffy, use ice for immediate effect. Wrap an ice cube in a handkerchief and hold it over each eyelid, in turn, for a few minutes.
- Regularly pour rose-water drops in your eyes, before sleeping.
- Have a diet rich in Beta-carotene as well as vitamin A, C and E. This will also prove helpful in improving your vision.
- Try to avoid excess salt in your food. It can contribute to the puffiness.
- Never ever use cheap quality cosmetics on your eyes. This may lead to irritation, itching and puffing.
- Boil green herbal tea in water and let it cool down in the refrigerator. Now, filter out the water in a cup. Dip cotton wool in this herbal-water and pad your eyes with it, for 15 minutes, every day before you go off to sleep.
- Wash your eyes with cold water as soon as you get up in the morning. Also, drizzle water on you eyes when you come back home from work.
- Remove all the make-up from your eyes before you sleep, because the chemicals present in the cosmetics can lead to eye-puffing.
- Take naps in between work. Simply close your eyes and let them relax for a few minutes, because extra strain and improper rest can lead to problems with your eye fluids, causing puffiness.