Sinus infection is a very common problem these days and a large number of the people in the world suffer from it. The infection occurs when sinuses, located in between and behind the eyes and on either side of the nose, suffer from inflammation. The result is severe headache or pressure in the eyes, nose or on one side of the head. A person suffering from sinus infection might experience cough, fever, bad breath and nasal congestion also. Every time you are down with sinus infection, it is not necessary to pop in pills. Rather, you should try to go for home treatments. In case you do not know any, check out the ones mentioned below and know how to get rid of a sinus infection.
Home Remedies For Sinus Infection
- Drink warm fluids that contain protein, sugars, electrolytes, vitamins and minerals in high proportions.
- Take 1 cup tomato juice and add 1 tsp chopped fresh garlic, ½ tsp hot sauce, 1 tsp lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Put the juice in a pan and heat it. Drink hot.
- Take 1 tsp ajwain and roast it on a flat pan. As soon as it starts to smoke, put it in a cloth or kitchen tissue. Bring it close to your nose and inhale deeply. Though you might sneeze initially, you will start feeling better after 4-5 minutes.
- Make a strong concoction of ginger, black pepper, clove, basil and cinnamon, by putting them in water and boiling it for 5-10 min. Strain the concoction and let it cool a bit. Add honey and drink.
- Try applying a hot compress over the inflamed area.
- Put some mustard sees powder in water and prepare a decoction by boiling it. Putting it in the nostrils might bring some relief.
- Try eating jalapeno peppers or drinking juice of ripe grapes.
- Make a paste of cinnamon and water and apply it on the forehead.
- You can also prepare a paste of ginger and water/milk and apply it on the forehead.
- The paste of basil leaves, cloves and dried ginger, when applied on the forehead, brings relief.
- Inhaling steam of eucalyptus oil is said to be very good for treating sinus infection.
- Last, but not the least, make sure to drink lots of water and warm liquids, when down with sinus infection.