When you talk about sinuses, they refer to the sinuses in the head. There are four pairs of sinuses present in the head region. These sinuses are filled with mucus that helps them to block dirt, and other foreign matter before they can reach the inner organs. The presence of mucus helps to moisten the heated air in the sinus passages. They also provide an air cushion to protect the head, and are responsible for the individual quality of the voices. When the sinuses fail to drain properly, you develop constant headaches. This can be mild, niggling, and brief or it can be serious, and can go on for weeks. Medications and over the counter drugs can give you temporary relief, but the pain returns once the dose wears off. You can tell which sinuses are affected from the area of your head that aches. Sinus pain can also occur behind your cheekbones, and above your eyes. When the sinuses are filled with fluid, you can feel the pressure on the roof of your mouth. This can cause pain and you can end up feeling bedridden and sick. This can also cause fever, and give you a bad feeling. There is no doubt that sinus problems cause a nagging pain and headache. This can hamper your everyday life, and perhaps the work also suffers. Listed below are few tips to help you relieve your sinus pain.
How To Relieve Sinus Pain
In case of chronic sinus pain, consult a medical practitioner. These antibiotics not only relieve sinus pain but also kill the microbes that infect the nasal cavities.
Dehumidifiers And Humidifiers
A change in the room temperature and seasonal allergies are one of the causes of sinusitis. Using humidifiers and dehumidifiers helps in controlling the temperature of the room.
Saline Nasal Wash
Saline nasal wash is an excellent remedy for sinus pain relief. They flush out allergens and mucus from the nasal cavities and nose. You can use few drops of eucalyptus oil on your handkerchief to soothe your inflammation in case of serious bouts of cough and cold.
Yoga And Pranayam
These are ancient traditional exercises that not only provide relief from sinus pain but also help in enhancing the respiratory system and the immune mechanism.
Sinus Pain Home Remedies
- Drink plenty of water to help thin out mucus which can ease the sinus blockages.
- You can drink peppermint tea to get relief from sinus pain. Boil one teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves in a cup of water, and boil it for 10-15 minutes. Add honey for taste. Filter it before drinking.
- Ginger is an herb, which has multitude of health benefits, and is useful in treating treat sinus pain. Taking ginger tablets daily can work wonders in reducing the pain.
- Eucalyptus oil can relieve sinus pain. You can put few drops of eucalyptus oil in a handkerchief, and inhale it for few times to relieve the sinus pain. This will clear away the sinus blockages.
- Acupressure is a technique that involves applying pressure on specific points. Apply pressure on your face, head, and side of nostrils to relieve sinus pain. When this is done correctly, it provides instant relief from the pain.
Self-Help Techniques To Reduce Sinus Pain
- Inhale steam for at least 3-4 times a day.
- Have a balanced diet, and exercise regularly.
- Drink lots of fluids like hot tea or soup.
- Include herbs like turmeric and ginger in your diet.
- Gargle your throat with lukewarm salt water.
- Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Avoid smoking
- Apply warm compresses to the eyes, cheekbones and the nose.