Excess smoking and wearing nail polish consistently are believed to be amongst the main causes of yellow nails. However, there are some articles and books on health that warn that discolored nails may indicate the presence of fungus or a health problem, such as diabetes or psoriasis. Discoloration of nails may also be caused by heredity factors. Therefore, at first, it is advisable to consult a physician, to know if any health problem exists. Once you have determined that the yellowness of your nails is not due to any health problem, you can try some home remedies to clean and treat them. In case you are wondering what these remedies are, read the lines that follow and know how to fix yellow nails.
How To Clean & Treat Yellow Nails
- 1 tbsp Hydrogen Peroxide
- 2½ tbsp Baking Soda
- Small Plastic Bowl
- 1 Cotton Swab
- Mix hydrogen peroxide and baking soda in a small plastic bowl, to prepare a bleaching paste for nails.
- Continue to mix the ingredients, until they begin to appear like a paste.
- Dip a cotton swab in the mixture and extract a small amount of bleach from the bowl.
- Spread the mixture evenly under the tip of each nail, followed by application on the front area.
- Allow the mixture to remain on your nails for about 3 minutes.
- Then, rinse the nails with warm water.
- Repeat the process every few weeks, to prevent your nails from turning yellow.
- Dip your nails in white vinegar. The citric acid in it will help to weaken the yellowish layer on your nails. You can squeeze two lemons and mix their juice with a small amount of water. Dip your fingers in the same. Alternately, you can soak a cotton ball in lemon juice or vinegar and apply it on your nails. Wash off after 5 minutes.
- You can try any whitening toothpaste on your nails as well. Apply a thick layer of toothpaste on each of your nails. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes and then, wash it off.
- You can also try using a nail cleaner to brighten your nails. A nail cleaner will not only clear the discoloration, but will also moisturize your fingernails and toenails.
- Make sure that you constantly moisturize your nails even as you try out the different remedies mentioned above. Applying moisturizing lotion and cuticle oil will keep your fingernails in a healthy shape. It will also help to avoid any brittleness.
- You can get whiter nails instantly, with the application of a traditional French manicure, or by using a whitening pencil as a temporary solution. The tips of your nails will be quickly whitened by each of these methods. However, remember that this remedy will not cure your yellow nails, just fix them for the time being.