A can opener forms an essential part of any household kitchen, even though most of the new cans are self-opening. Opening a can with a manual can opener can sometimes be frustrating, as there are chances that the knife can smear the lid corner instead of cutting it. So, why not switch to electric can openers? They prove to handier, easier to use and even less time consuming. They are especially very helpful to people with arthritic or weak hands, or those who have to open a lot of cans daily. Different types of electric can openers are available in the market today, such as side-opening electric can openers, top-opening electric can openers, counter-top electric can openers, under-cabinet electric can openers and handheld electric can openers (corded, cordless or rechargeable). Popular electric can opener brands include Black & Decker, General Electric, Hamilton Beach, Prestige, Moulinex, Antov, and so on. Read on to know tips on how to choose the best electric can opener.
Tips For Finding The Best Electric Can Openers
- The most basic and important feature of an electric can opener is being able to remove the blade and clean it. Select an opener that has a removable blade so that it is easy to clean and maintain.
- If possible, opt for a hand-held cordless can opener, as it requires less counter space and can be used on large cans without any hassle.
- In case space is your real concern, you can go for ‘spacesaver’ electric can openers, which can be attached under your counter. This way, you will end up saving a lot of space.
- Some electric can openers contain a knife sharpener attached to them. For people who do not have a separate knife sharpener with them, such electric can openers can prove to be really beneficial.
- In case you require an electric can opener to open large cans, pick a tall one that can easily accommodate oversized cans as well.
- DO consider the color and finish of an electric can opener. Dark colors show fingerprints and get dirty more easily, as compared to the lighter colors. So, it is advisable to opt for the latter.
- Choose an electric can opener with a replaceable cutter arm, so that you do not have to purchase a new opener when the blades get blunt. This way, you will be saving on a substantial amount of money.
- There are electric can openers with the automatic stop function. The opener automatically switches off when the can is fully opened. This is the best in homes that have kids as well.