There is no doubt that creating a nursery is the most enjoyable job of a parent-to-be. For many of us it is like creating a Neverland for the baby. We want to give the colors to our dreams and for that, we fill the nursery with our creativity and everything we can afford. Buying furniture is one such enjoyable work. Whose heart wouldn’t get filled after seeing the little furniture for the babies? However, when you are buying furniture for your baby, there are loads of things, which you have to take care of and the most important of them is safety. When you are buying the furniture, give safety and comfort your main concern. Never in any case compromise with these two factors. Explore the following pointers given below to know the best tips for choosing baby furniture.
Tips For Choosing Baby Furniture
- The first thing, which you have to keep in mind, is your budget. You may be ecstatic in having been blessed with a baby. However, you need to remember that with the baby, many extra expenses come along like diapers, baby clothes etc. Make a budget, which is realistic, which you can afford and does not make a hole in your pocket.
- Make a list of furniture you need for the baby. A crib, a changing table, a bassinet, a high chair, rocking chair, cradle, stroller, drawers and shelf, etc. You don’t have to necessarily buy all these furniture. If your budget doesn’t permit, choose the ones which are absolutely necessary like a crib and a stroller and leave the rest.
- The crib is the place where the baby would spend most of his/her time. It needs to be comfortable, safe, and secure. The slats of the crib should be narrow enough so as to prevent the baby from getting their hands, legs or head caught in between. The slats should not be more that 2 and half inches wide.
- The furniture you buy for your baby should not have any sharp and rough ends.
- The mattress, which you buy, should be high-density foam mattress. The side of the crib should be such that the baby doesn’t fall out of it.
- The crib should also have a bumper pad, which provides extra security.
- Changing table allows you to diaper and dress your baby safely. It should be high enough so that you are comfortable while you are dressing up your baby. Most changing tables generally come with safety belts. The changing table should be made up of solid wood and not with particleboard.
- Look for a changing table, which is high enough from both sides to keep the baby from falling.
- If you are opting for bassinet, look for one, which has firm mattress. Bassinets generally can be used from four to six months. It should have a wide base and it should be sturdy to keep the baby from falling. It should not have any rough edges from inside.
- Rocking chair can also be bought for the baby. It should be very comfortable with a slightly curved back
- There are different kinds of strollers like lightweight, heavy, and other kinds, which you can choose depending on your lifestyle. The buckles of the stroller should be easy to latch and unlatch and it should snugly around baby’s chest without being uncomfortable for the baby. The wheelbase should be wide enough to keep the stroller stable. The stroller should have brakes to lock the wheels in place and should have washable fabric.
- You also need to keep the style of your baby nursery in mind when you are buying baby furniture. Keep in mind the color scheme of your nursery. You also need to keep in mind the size of the nursery. If it is small, you may have to make do with only few furniture.
- Never compromise with the safety of the furniture. Check the manufacturing labels about it and search online about the best prices and bargain prices.