What happens when you find out the passenger sitting next to you in the air carrier has paid considerably less than you for the same ticket? An expression of surprise, astonishment and anguish runs down your spine, isn’t it? Sounds funny, but it is very true. Most travelers look out for sources through which they can pay less for the tickets. Prices of airline tickets vary and change in as little as an hour or a day. However, there is definitely a chance for you to get a ticket, for the flight you want, at a cheaper rate. Though hard to come-by in a world like today, with rising oil prices, you can always find ways to buy a discounted airline ticket, by implementing certain techniques. Numerous factors determine ticket prices like departure/ destination airport, airline, time of travel, distance and so on. Read the lines below to find tips for getting low cost airfares.
Image: Hideyuki KAMON@flickr
Tips For Getting Low Cost Airfares
- The cost of the airfare depends on the time gap between your date of departure and the booking date. Remember, the greater the time gap, the lower will be the cost of your ticket. Hence, try booking your airline tickets in advance and do not wait for the last minute.
- In case you would be coming back to your present destination at a determined date, it is better to purchase the air ticket on a return trip basis. Return tickets usually cost less than two one-way tickets.
- Low cost airline tickets are available in the middle of the week rather than on weekends. Fridays and Mondays prove to be the most expensive days to travel while Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the cheapest days to fly on.
- Flying during the season period is always expensive. Hence, June, July, August and December should be avoided as schools are off during these months plus it's festive time.
- Always compare and contrast the different airline companies for the airfares that they are offering for the same destination. At times, you might just be paying more than you should. Hence, look out for the various options available that can help you save a lot of money.
- In case you have time, you can combine your route from multiple destinations between your departure and destination cities. Connecting flights usually have an overall low cost as compared to direct flights that have expensive fare.
- While heading for vacation destination to unwind yourself, enroll yourself into one of those combined hotel and air packages being offered. All leading travel groups offer air and hotel travel packages. Such packages are assembled at a discounted rate, when purchased together. All in all, getting an air and hotel package together costs lesser than looking for a cheap flight and a cheap hotel.
- Most airlines offer cheap, discount summer or cheap spring tickets. While purchasing a ticket, thoroughly search through the net or call airlines and travel agents for those special fares.
- Update yourself on airfare wars to avail the best prices by watching news and reading the newspaper. Major airlines and upcoming airline companies offer limited-time promotional fares. Watch out for them!
- Apart from getting tickets from travel agents and online booking engines, you can also consider consolidators. A consolidator is a wholesaler that buys tickets in bulk in advance. Thus, you can find one consolidator to get cheap airline tickets. The only problem with these tickets is that they are non refundable and brutal cancellation penalties.