A wardrobe malfunction is embarrassing and no one in their right minds would like to face one. Before we go ahead with tips on how to avoid one, let’s first clear the air about what a wardrobe malfunction really is. It’s not choosing the wrong clothes to wear, but accidental exposure of body parts that are meant not to be exposed. It should be understood that a wardrobe malfunction is never an intentional incident and can happen to anyone. Such a malfunction can be a result of a number of reasons ranging from clothing failure to lack of foresight and planning. The worst thing that could ever happen to a person is to suffer a wardrobe malfunction especially when they are up on a stage or commanding the attention of a crowd. All of us have seen famous personalities walk down the red carpet in magnificent clothes, that sometimes defy imagination, and not suffer wardrobe malfunctions making us wonder as to how they manage it. Even you can get an insight into avoiding wardrobe malfunctions by simply going through the points mentioned below.
Image: Dance Photographer - Brendan Lally@flickr
Avoiding Wardrobe Malfunctions
These tips will help you avoid those embarrassing moments when you wished that the earth should just open up and swallow you.
- The very first tip anyone will give you will be to be sure of what you are wearing. This is more like a dress rehearsal where you put on the dress you intend to wear and make sure that it fits properly. While checking out the dress you might also want to move around a little to make sure you fit in properly. If you do find something wrong with the dress then have it rectified by a tailor.
- If you are wearing a skirt, it would be good idea to wear a pair of women’s shorts under the skirt.
- Avoiding wearing clothes that are too loose for you will also go a long way in making sure nothing slips out.
- You could also use double sided tape to make sure that your brassiere straps stay out of sight. You can also use this double sided tape to make sure that dresses with deep neckline stay where they are supposed to.
- Carrying yourself properly will also help in ensuring that you don’t suffer from a wardrobe malfunction. If you stoop too much, you are liable to show more than you intend to. Make sure you walk with a straight posture.
- Avoiding deodorant sprays that have a powder dry (leaving a white residue behind after drying) affect would be a smart thing too.
- Wearing underwear that does not make itself obvious will also be a prudent choice. To achieve this it would be better not to contrast the colours of your innerwear and your dress. If you happen to be wearing pants then it would be wise to wear underwear that does not have seams so that its outline does not make itself visible.
- These are very simple and practical suggestion but can be life savers when you realise that following them saved you from some very embarrassing wardrobe malfunctions.