Artificial agricultural methods have gained importance over a period of time because of their ability to improve the fertility of the soil and increase production. One such method of improving the quality of soil is by using fertilizers. There are different types of fertilizers available in the market. However, the quality of fertilizers has deteriorated over the period of time. The fertilizers, that are available today, come in with a lot of chemicals, making them harmful for your lawn or garden in the long run. This decreasing quality of the market fertilizers has paved the way for homemade fertilizers. Homemade fertilizers are made out of inexpensive household items that are easily available. The ingredients when put together in the right quantity and manner give out a fertilizer that makes your lawn healthy and lush. These homemade fertilizers are devoid of harmful chemicals that otherwise prove out to be dangerous not only for your lawn, but also for your kids and pets. Apart from that, homemade fertilizers are environment friendly, making them the best bet to keep your lawn lush and verdant. This article provides you with different fertilizers that you can make at home.
How To Make Lawn Fertilizers At Home
- A tea fertilizer is an ideal homemade fertilizer which improves the quality of your lawn’s soil and helps it retain the freshness. To prepare the fertilizer, take 5 quarts of manure and put it on 3 foot square burlap, which will work as a strainer, separating the solids from the liquids. Tie all the corners of burlap together to form a bag-like structure. Put the bag in a 5 gallon bucket. Add 3 gallons of water and let it steep in the sun for about a week. The water thus obtained will resemble the color of tea. Remove the bag and suspend it over a bucket. Once the liquid is completely drained out, the fertilizer is ready to use.
- 16 tbsp of bitter salt with 8 oz of household ammonia in water can prove out to be an excellent fertilizer to be used in your lawn. Once the diluted mixture is ready, evenly spray across your lawn to make it go green.
- Beer can also be used with other ingredients to give out a good homemade fertilizer. For this, mix 3 cups of water with 1½ cups of beer, 1½ cup Epson salt and a cup of ammonia. Mix all the ingredients well in a container. Now, put the mixture to your watering can and distribute it all over the lawn.
- Mix a can of coke, a can of beer, one cup apple juice, one cup lemon dishwashing liquid, a cup of ammonia and a cup of all-purpose plant food. Once the mixture is ready, pour it into a 20 gallon hose end sprayer and spray it across your lawn to get amazing results. The ammonia present in the mixture would fight against and kill all the bacteria and fungus found in the ground, accelerating healthy growth.
- Another easy recipe for a homemade fertilizer can be made by mixing one can of non-diet pop with a can of beer, ½ cup ammonia, ½ cup liquid dishwashing soap and ½ a cup of mouthwash. Mix it all well and pour the mixture into the hose fertilizer sprayer. While the beer and pop will feed the lawn, the ammonia in the mixture will help promote growth. The dishwasher soap in the mixture would serve as a wetting agent that makes route for water to reach the roots. The mouthwash, on the other hand, would help fight against the pests and bugs.
- Mix a can of tomato juice with ½ cup fabric downy softener, 2 cups of water and 2/3 cup of orange juice. This also gives a very effective and useful fertilizer.