Coffee, a stimulant beverage prepared from roasted coffee beans, has been in consumption since 9th century. It was discovered in the highlands of Ethiopia, from where it slowly spread to Armenia, Persia, Turkey, and Northern Africa. Europe, Indonesia and the Americas were introduced to it by the Muslim countries. Today, coffee is regarded as one of the most popular beverages, consumed across the globe. Do you know that many positive as well as negative effects accrue from coffee? If no, then go through the following lines and explore the health effects of drinking coffee.
Effects Of Coffee On Health
Excessive of coffee has a number of harmful effects on an individual. Thus, it is advisable not to become a habitual user of the beverage. In case you are an avid coffee drinker, having knowledge of the following negative effects might help you change your mind.
- Coffee can become addictive and leave you with withdrawal symptoms, just like cigarettes and alcohol.
- When consumed in a large quantity, the beverage can lead to jitters and anxiety in the drinker.
- Excess coffee consumption can result in staining of teeth, marring your overall personality.
- Insomnia and disruption of sleep patterns are two of the other negatives of having coffee in excess.
- If you have been suffering from tremors, nervousness, restlessness, and irritability since quite sometime, it is advisable to exercise control over your coffee intake.
- The beverage has been associated with rise in blood pressure and/or serum cholesterol levels
- Headaches and increased heartburn might also result from regular coffee consumption.
- Those who drink excess coffee are at a greater risk of developing anemia. They might suffer from irregular heartbeats and palpitations as well.
- Elevation of blood fatty acid levels is yet another negative effect of excess coffee consumption.
- Coffee can lead to greater gastric acid production and aggravation of peptic ulcers
- Pregnant women, who consume too much coffee, are at a higher risk of the birth of a low-birth-weight child
- Increased risk of cardiac arrhythmia and heart attack can also be included in negative effects of coffee.
- Coffee can result in increased symptoms of PMS and increased urinary calcium losses.
For those of you who always believed that coffee could turn nothing positive in your body, there is a surprise in store. The drink, when taken in moderation, can indeed bless you with a number of benefits as well. Wanna know about them in detail? Read on…
- Amongst the many health benefits that are associated with coffee, one can include increased endurance.
- Regular consumption of coffee can help dilate the airways, thus proving beneficial for asthma patients
- Coffee has been found good for those people who are suffering from constipation.
- The beverage has proved to be beneficial in providing protection against the pain of gallstones.
- Consuming coffee, on a regular, but moderate basis, can also help enhance exercise and sports performance
- The beverage has been associated with decreased risk of colon cancer. At the same time, it helps reduce the risk of getting Type 2 diabetes.