Sauna bath is the name given to procedure under which a person sits in a room, where he is exposed to high temperature, under controlled conditions. There are different types of sauna baths, of which the most popular one is steam bath. Usually taken in a sealed steam rooms, steam bath involves exposing an individual to steam or mist, at an even temperature, for somewhere around 15-20 minutes. Usually, the room is kept at a temperature of around 44 deg C (112 deg F). Steam baths are believed to have a number of health benefits for its users. Some of the benefits have been listed below.
Benefits of Using Steam Rooms
- The steam, to which the body is exposed while taking a sauna bath, helps in the opening of the skin pores. As we sweat, all the toxins and impurities flow out of the body, through these pores.
- Steam helps in the flow of blood throughout the body, effectively. At the same time, the contracted muscles get a lot of relief. The result is alleviation of joints pain, especially in conditions like arthritis.
- Sauna bath has been proven to help in weight loss. Steam helps in the enhancing the speed and intensity of the metabolism of our body, in turn leading to weight loss.
- Taking a sauna bath helps in the relaxation of the mind as well as the body. People have experienced a reduction in their tensions and stress levels after taking a steam bath.
- Sauna has been found to be effective in inducing a long and relaxing sleep. This is why, people with insomnia and other sleep disorders are advised to go for steam bath.
- When we take a sauna bath, out body temperature increases (just as it does when we have fever). The fever-like condition helps in boosting the immune system of the body.
- Steam has been known to be effective in treating medical conditions like cold (sinusitis), bronchitis, laryngitis etc. The same benefits have been experienced in case of sauna bath also.
- It has been found that 15-20 minutes of sauna bath holds as much benefit as 1-2 hours of brisk walk or 1 hour of exercise. The exact benefit, however, differs from person to person.
- When we take a sauna bath, the blood flow to the skin increases to quite an extent. This gives a healthy glow to the skin.