The clichéd saying that Dog is a man’s best friend, cannot be stretched to mean that your beloved pooch can eat out of your plate. Yes, many animal rights activists may argue that separating the dog during dinner time is a crime against them, but they will all agree that dogs are essentially different from human beings, especially in matters of food. For example, we all love chocolate and know that a small amount of chocolate, especially dark chocolate, is good for us and acts as an anti oxidant. However, for the dogs, the darker the chocolate, the more poisonous it can get. Chocolate has, in fact, been long acknowledged as dangerously toxic for dogs. There are many other substances that are toxic for dogs, many of which people do not know about. Read on to know what substances are toxic for your canine confidante.
Foods Toxic To Dogs
Hic! Hic! Horror!
Many men offer a sip of the beer that they may be relishing at the ‘end of a hectic day.’ They might as well stuff a huge ball of cotton wool up his poor nasal cavity! Your limit may be at least three bottles before you begin to feel intoxicated, but dogs begin to feel intoxicated even with a little bit of alcohol in their system. Since beer has hops, used as a flavouring and stability agent, it can lead to increased heart rates in your dog, fevers, seizures, and even death. Thus, if people are drinking in the presence of a dog, it is imperative to keep a close watch.
Apples, Apricots, Peaches, Cherries
All these fruits, that we may consider healthy for us, are as good as poison, for the dogs. These fruits contain in them a form of cyanide compound that could actually poison the dog especially if he eats its stems, seeds, or leaves.
Everything in an avocado, including its fruit, leaves, stem and pit, are toxic for the canine. The toxic substance in avocados, called persin, is a derivative of fatty acid. Its consumption can cause difficulty in breathing, accumulation of fluid around the heart, vomiting, diarrhoea, generalized congestion, and heart failure, ultimately leading to death.
Baking Soda/ Powder
It is one of the most common items found in the kitchen; and is often used in cooking. As is commonly known, baking powder is a combination of baking soda and a mild acid, usually tartaric acid (cream of tartar). If the dog eats large quantities of baking soda or baking powder, it could lead to muscle spasms, electrolyte changes and congestive heart failures.
There may not be another substance that could be singularly as dangerous to a dog as chocolate. Many people are aware of it and take precautions, but the flip side is that dogs love chocolates and are never satisfied with just one bite, which itself could be very dangerous. It contains a substance called theobromine, which is present in it naturally and cannot be done away with. The darker and richer the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains. Even a small amount of chocolate into a dog’s bloodstream could cause irregular heartbeat, diarrhoea and other gastrointestinal issues, heart attack, internal bleeding, coma and even death.
Onions And Garlic
Both onions and garlic contain in them a compound called thiosulphate, which makes them toxic for your canine companions. Its levels in onion and garlic are unaffected by cooking, microwave or processing. It can cause diarrhoea, gastrointestinal problems, and vomiting. All this happens because dogs and cats do not have in their bodies, the enzyme that helps to digest and assimilate thiosulphate.
Dogs love fatty foods and those rich in salt, which they may fish out of the dustbin, or they may be given by their masters, as reward or leftovers. Excessive amounts can cause pancreatitis in the dog, bringing with it abdominal pain, acute onset of vomiting and diarrhoea.