Some of the most crucial nutrients come from potassium that is found in various food sources. This article briefs you on potassium present in food.

Food Sources Of Potassium

Potassium is an important mineral nutrient in the human body. Though required only in small quantities (micro nutrient), it is an important cation (positive ion) that has significant biochemical functions. Potassium has a crucial role in maintaining the electrical properties of neurons which are vital in conducting impulses. It forms an integral part of the sodium–potassium pump which maintains the osmotic pressure between a living cell and the interstitial fluid. Another significant role of Potassium lies in the contraction and relaxation of muscles. As a part of the biological membranes, potassium plays a substantial part in the polarization of these borders. Maintaining the normal level of this element (3.5 – 5.0 mEq/L), both in blood and body cells, is very important for the proper functioning of body. Potassium ions are distributed in such a way that 95% of them are found inside the body cells while the remaining 5% are distributed in the blood. A deficiency in potassium ions is denoted as Hypokalemia which is characterized by cardiac arrhythmias and muscular dysfunctions. Severe hypokalemia is fatal as it affects respiration owing to the impaired functioning of the respiratory muscles. All these assert the requirement of adequate dietary supplementation of potassium. For further information on its supplementation, scroll down!
Foods High In Pottasium 
  • Dates are a rich source of potassium. They provide 696mg of potassium per 100g. Dates can be eaten as a snack or in fruit salads or sometimes even in savory stews.
  • Orange is another good source of this regulatory ion. It provides 169mg per every 100g. Regular intake of orange juice reduces the risk of hypertension too!  
  • Tomato is known for the presence of Umami in it. Along with antioxidants, vitamins and other components, tomato provides good measure of potassium too. Tomato puree provides 1065mg of potassium per cup while potassium content in tomato paste is still higher, about 2455mg per cup.
  • Potatoes carry 421mg of potassium in every 100g. As part of the daily diet, they act as major sources for many people. From the same family, sweet potatoes also have about 694 mg in each one of them.
  • Raisins (dried grapes) are rich in this chemical element too. They provide 750mg of potassium per 100g while satisfying your sweet tooth!
  • Milk is a complete food which provides proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins and minerals. It is a good means of ingesting potassium also. It provides 143mg of it in every 100ml. Yogurt, like other milk products, yields high amount of potassium. It yields 579mg per 227g (8 ounces).
  • Salmon has a high nutritional content. It is available in different forms such as fresh fish and canned forms. The nutritional value shows a slight variation according to the nature of packing but undoubtedly, it has high potassium content varying from 290 – 470mg/100g.
  • Almonds are seeds of almond tree (Prunus dulcis) with a significant dietary value containing great amounts of vitamins, minerals and oils. They have anti–cancerous, anti–inflammatory and anti–hepatotoxicity effects. Too complicated? Basically, it has a high concentration of potassium of 728mg/100g!
  • Banana is a known reservoir of potassium with a ratio of at least 550mg per fruit. There are slight differences with various species but a single fruit is enough to meet the daily requirement of potassium.
Excess Potassium
  • Though it is essential to maintain a good health, potassium in high concentrations is not recommended as it induces toxic effect in the body which is commonly referred to Hyperkalemia.
  • Symptoms include palpitation, cardiac arrhythmias, improper functioning of muscles, nausea and fatigue while severe cases can lead to cardiac fibrillation and an arrest. Hyperkalemia usually arises from kidney dysfunction or other internal problems or even due to administration of some drugs. Dietary intake usually does not lead to this condition.
  • An example of lethal dose of potassium would be 190 g per day for a person weighing 75 kg.
Potassium is a micronutrient that requires a daily intake and if not supplied on a regular basis, it causes considerable health issues. On the other hand, it is lethal when large amounts are taken in. Make sure you have the right balance between what is less and more!

How to Cite

More from