Houses, offices, vehicles, restaurants or cafes, paper towels, today largely dominate every place. So, whether it is cleaning a table or wiping your wet hands or even wrapping precious stones and jewelry, paper towels have become a necessity for people and a day without them is simply hard to remember. However, have you ever wondered that the commodity, which we use so frequently, how and from where did it originate? The first paper towel was invented by Arthur Scott from a bunch of rejected toilet papers. The invention of paper towel showed the way out to the cloth towels, the main culprit for spreading of diseases and germs in the society. The main USP (unique selling point) of paper towels is that they are disposable in nature and therefore, there is no question of reuse or risk of spreading illness. To know more interesting facts and amazing information about paper towels, read through the following lines.
Interesting & Amazing Information About Paper Towels
- Paper towels were first made by Arthur Scott. He perforated the toilet papers in small towel-size sheets and sold them. These towel-sized sheets became the first ever disposable paper towels.
- After the success of the paper towels, Scott introduced paper kitchen towels in 1931. These were 13 inch wide and 18 inches long.
- A paper towel is said to be made out of paper pulp, which gets extracted from wood or fiber crops.
- One can use either the virgin or a recyclable paper pulp. Paper towel that is made out of recycled paper pulp is good not only because it lessens the power consumption by half, but also as it leads to fall in the number of trees being cut.
- Paper towels are lightweight and made out of multiple layers for better absorption. The more the layers, the better the paper towel will absorb.
- Normally, paper towels are made out of absorbent paper, which helps them to absorb more than a cloth. Since they are loosely woven, paper towels let the water travel between them, even against gravity.
- Paper towels are classified based on their properties. They are distinguished and classified on lines of their strength, absorbency, weight and thickness. Colored paper towels are classified on whether they are for domestic or industrial use.
- Paper towels are packed individually and sold as stacks, or held in a continuous roll. These paper towels are manufactured with two to three layers of thin paper, but some might have fewer layers.
- Paper towels are at times bleached to give a whiter look. They are also some times adorned with flowers and other designs to appeal to the eyes and look good. The patterns and shapes on a paper towel are imprinted not only to make it look elegant, but also with the purpose of maximizing the absorption.
- Colored paper towels were introduced to the market 30 years ago and were launched in two different classes - domestic and industrial.
- The invention of paper towel and its wide availability and demand made it possible for most of the legislative bodies to create a law against the use of cloth towels, which spreads multiple maladies.