Trendiness is what attracts the young. Anything that comes in a trendy package finds instant and widespread appeal among the youth. This is where energy drinks hit the bull’s eye by presenting to the youth a trendy alternative to the common carbonated beverages. As of now, energy beverages are the hot thing. From kids to young adults, almost everyone patronizes energy drinks. However, when you start using energy drinks like soda then it becomes a cause of concern. Many people do not stop their kids from drinking too many cans of energy drinks because they think that it is a harmless craze that will soon pass away. They make the mistake to think that energy drinks are like other carbonated beverages. This is because energy drinks contain a lot more ingredients that help in boosting the energy. While taken in limited quantities it does not pose too much risk, it is when they are drank like tea or coffee that its side effects start developing. Some of the ingredients can aggravate existing health conditions or can lead to development of other health problems. So, getting information on all the side effects of energy drinks makes good sense.
Adverse Effects Of Energy Drinks
- The main ingredient in energy drinks are sugar and fructose. This can result in sudden crash in the energy levels when the sugar leaves the bloodstream.
- Energy drinks also contain high amounts of caffeine. As a result, it can cause sleeping problems, which in the long run can lead to insomnia.
- Since caffeine acts as a diuretic, it can cause considerable loss of fluid from the body. This can lead to dehydration.
- Excessive caffeine from energy drinks can also cause dizziness, nausea, and irritability.
- In some people, energy drinks can also cause adverse allergic reactions. The allergies can manifest themselves in the form of hives, rashes, itching or oral swelling. Energy drinks can also cause severe headache.
- Energy drinks also contain several B vitamins. When large amounts of energy drinks are consumed, there is a possibility of exceeding the recommended dose of these vitamins. So, it can result in flushing of the skin if vitamin B3 exceeds more than 35mg. If the vitamin B3 gets higher than 3000mg then it can lead to liver toxicity. If the amount of vitamin B6 exceeds more than 100mg then it can cause skin lesions or a burning sensation.
- Too much intake of energy drinks can also lead to high blood pressure. It can also increase the risk of heart diseases.
- Energy drinks also contain a large amount of carbohydrate. This makes it very tough for the body to absorb nutrients from the intestines into the bloodstream. Thus, too much of energy drinks can lead to gastro-intestinal problems.
- Another ingredient of energy drinks is inositol. When taken in large quantities it can cause diarrhea.
- Some studies have also found that the ginseng in energy drinks can cause sleeplessness. However, there is no conclusive proof to support them. However, large amounts of ginseng can cause high and low blood pressure, breast pain, and nausea.
- Energy drinks also contain large amounts of calories. So, there is always the risk of putting on weight and such large amounts of calories are hard to burn.