Among the first few decisions you will be faced with upon becoming a parent is whether to use cloth diaper or disposable diaper. If you are not a parent already, you might even find this question a little funny or unimportant, but in reality is not really! Whether you are using cloth or disposable diapers for your newborn can have lots of consequences – on your little one’s health and comfort, the environment and your own financial budget. This article, thus, enumerates the pros and cons of both cloth baby diapers and disposable ones to help you arrive at a decision.
Cloth Baby Diapers
Read below the pros and cons of the cloth baby diapers in comparison to the disposable baby diapers.
Pros of Cloth Baby Diapers
- Since the cloth baby diapers can be used again after washing and drying, they ultimately cost much less in comparison to the disposable baby diapers.
- There occurs less diaper-rash when using cloth diapers on babies. This is because natural cotton fibers breathe more easily.
- When maintained very hygienically, the cloth baby diapers can be used for subsequent children as well.
- Cloth diapered children tend to potty-train earlier than those using disposable diapers.
Cons of Cloth Baby Diapers
- Though parents have now begun using Velcro for fastening cloth baby diapers, the more popular trend is to fasten them using diaper pins.
- There are certain daycare centers that do not prefer kids using cloth diapers.
- Cloth baby diapers, especially used ones, do not make a favorable sight when out in public with child. They are inconvenient for traveling also.
- Can leak more than disposables when not used properly.
Disposable Baby Diapers
Read below the pros and cons of disposable baby diapers as compared to the cloth diapers.
Pros of Disposable Baby Diapers
- Disposable diapers are easy to use. Disposing them is definitely easier than washing for re-use like in cloth diapers.
- Disposables can be instantly discarded off after use
- You can easily pack these neat and clean readymade disposable diapers in your luggage while traveling.
- These leak less than cloth diapers.
- Moreover, they have a tight, snug fit.
Cons of Disposable Diapers
- Disposable diapers are expensive compared to the cloth diapers. Being a use and throw, you will end up spending much more by using disposable baby diapers.
- Unhealthy for environment. Study says each year about five million tons of untreated waste gets dumped in form of disposables.
- Kids don’t feel as much wetness with disposables. So it is more tough to potty-train them.
- Studies state disposable baby diapers cause more diaper-rash.
- Sodium polyacrylate chemical is employed to ensure the super-absorbency of disposable diapers. This is said to cause allergic reactions.