One of the oldest known spices, cinnamon is a small plant that is tagged along with variety of its uses. Right from being used for spicing up the food, to deterring the germs from occurring, cinnamon is extremely beneficial. There are about four main varieties of cinnamon, out of which Ceylon cinnamon and Cassia cinnamon are the most popular. It is mainly available in the form of a stick or ground powder. According to studies, cinnamon is believed to have numerous health benefits. Daily consumption of regulated amounts of cinnamon can eradicate many disease and ailments. However, just as they say excess of anything can be bad, large amount of cinnamon consumption can cause fast heart rate, upset stomach and excessive perspiration. To know more about the health benefits of cinnamon, read through the following lines.
Medicinal Benefits Of Cinnamon
- As per research, just about 1/2 tsp of cinnamon per day can lower LDL cholesterol dramatically. All you need to do is simple include a tsp of cinnamon in your regular diet regimen.
- For people diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, cinnamon is a boon. Studies have revealed the fact that intake of cinnamon has regulatory effect on blood sugar. It not only lowers blood sugar levels, but also increases the amount of insulin production in the body.
- The problem of arthritis can also be solved by having cinnamon every day. A tsp of cinnamon mixed with a tbsp of honey relieves a person of the pain. Patients have even been reported walking without pain after a month of regular intake of cinnamon in their diet.
- Cinnamon is a natural food preservative. When mixed with food, it inhibits bacterial growth and food spoilage, thus keeping the food fresh and healthy.
- For those who have lack of manganese, fiber, iron, and calcium in their body, intake of cinnamon would be beneficial. It is a great source of all the elements mentioned.
- Chinese have since long used cinnamon as a natural remedy for treating coughs and cold. All that a person needs to do is boil some water and add cinnamon stick to it. Further boil for about 2 minutes before straining the water. Use this water for making green tea.
- Cinnamon is found to have beneficial effects on toothaches. It relieves the person from the pain immediately. All you need to do is mix 5 tsp of honey with a tsp of cinnamon powder. Apply this paste directly onto the aching tooth for 2 or 3 times a day.
- Cinnamon has anti-clotting effect on blood. It is basically used as a blood thinner.
- Problems of diarrhea and flatulence can easily be solved by including cinnamon in the regular diet. It can easily be added to any vegetable or meat preparation.
- As per a study at the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Maryland, cinnamon is believed to reduce the proliferation of leukemia and lymphoma cancer cells.
- Problems of nausea can also be treated by having cinnamon. You can either add a tsp of it in your tea or a broth based soup. It is found to have calming effect on nausea.
- Feeling of worn out and tiredness can be removed by having cinnamon. It improves energy, gives people more vitality and improves blood circulation.
- According to a research, smelling cinnamon boosts cognitive function and memory. Regulated intake of cinnamon can enhance your cognitive capabilities.