The end of October is nearing and you know it’s going to be Halloween when the stores are filled with pumpkins. During this festive yet spooky time, all you can think of when someone asks you about pumpkin is what scary figure will it be carved out into. Only when you grow older, do you realize that there are many interesting ingredients you can blend with pumpkin to create delicious deserts and dishes. The qualities of a pumpkin are subtle and healthy. They contain moisture and absorb the taste of their accompanying ingredients such as chocolate, strawberry or any other flavor. Like other fruits, pumpkins aesthetically mix and give a whiff of their flavor beautifully. The mouth watering icing or frosting is too hard to resist while the pumpkin mixed inside adds the fruity refreshing touch lightening the rich chocolate. The chocolate pumpkin cake maintains a great balance between indulgence and health and therefore is a delicious dessert suitable for any occasion whether Halloween, Thanksgiving or a Birthday party.
How to Make Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
Recipe Type: Non-Vegetarian
Serves: 14 servings
Calories Per Serving: 610
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 large eggs
- Grease lightly with butter and parchment paper, two 8-inch cake pans.
- Mix together baking soda, baking powder, flour, cocoa and salt.
- In a separate, small bowl, mix pumpkin, buttermilk, and vanilla extract.
- In electric mixer, blend butter and sugar until you get a light and fluffy consistency.
- Add egg yolks one at a time and beat continuously.
- Decrease the speed of the mixer and alternately add flour and buttermilk mixture. Add one-third of the mixture at a time.
- Pour the mixed batter into the greased pan, and bake in oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for around 35 minutes.
- It is baked completely when a tester inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Before adding icing or glazing, cool layers completely.
- In a heat proof bowl, put 1 tablespoon of cold unsalted butter, 4 ounces of chopped bittersweet chocolate , and 3 tablespoons of corn syrup.
- Boil half a cup of heavy cream, and pour over chocolate. Let is settle for 3 minutes
- Whisk gently until smooth and let it settle for 3 to 5 minutes till the glaze thickens slightly.
- Pour the glaze on the centre of the cake.
- Smooth out edges to let the glaze glide over the sides.