Born In: Hyderabad
Ajith Kumar has established himself as one of the leading actors in Tamil film industry (Kollywood). The actor started his film career in 1992, with debut in “Prema Pustagam”, the only Telugu film he has done so far. After working as a romantic hero in several films, he went on to demonstrate himself as an action hero. He has acted in both, small and big budget films and has delivered several hits and few flops as well. Ajith’s unique acting style and charm is a hit amongst the Tamil movie lovers, especially the youth. He has a huge fan following, which fondly calls him the “ultimate super star” or “thala”.
Childhood & Early Life
Ajith Kumar was born in Hyderabad on May 1, 1971. His father is a Tamilian and mother is Sindhi. Following the Tamil culture and lifestyle, Ajith spent his childhood in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. He did his schooling from Asan Memorial Senior Secondary School located in the city. After dropping out from school, in 1986, he went on to become a full time garment exporter in Erode. A number of business agencies approached him with offers for modeling in print ads. He then decided to enter the glamorous world of modeling and acted in advertisements for print media. This proved to be a stepping stone for his career.
Career In Films
Ajith Kumar started his film career at the age of 21. He made his debut as an actor in Telugu movie “Prema Pustagam” (1992). His first Tamil film was “Amaravathi” (1993). The huge success of Aasai (1995) proved to be a turning point in the career of Ajith Kumar, as the film fetched him wide recognition and helped him establish himself as an actor in Kollywood. He became popular as a romantic hero in South India.
All the characters portrayed by Ajith Kumar have been accepted by the Tamil cinema lovers whole-heartedly. He delivered a series of hits, including “Kadhal Kottai” (1996), “Vaanmathi” (1996), “Aval Varuvala” (1998) and “Kadhal Mannan” (1998). The film “Vaali” (1999), in which he played the roles of both hero and villain, led his career to a new high. He had a significant role in Rajiv Menon’s directorial venture “Kandukondain Kandukondain” (2000), which was one of the biggest blockbusters of the year.
Tamil audience saw Ajith Kumar portray an entirely different image - of an action hero - in the film “Dheena” (2001). The film “Citizen”, released in the same year, was critically acclaimed, although it didn’t score well in the box office. The movie “Red” (2002), which bombed at the box office, proved to be a disaster for the actor. “Red” is marked as an all-time low in his career. Subsequently, Ajith faced ups and downs in his career. Some films went unnoticed, while other proved to be super hits. After delivering hits and flops for a couple of years, Ajith had a come back in “Billa”, which was a blockbuster of 2007.
Career As A Car Racer
Ajith Kumar is also a professional car racer. He has driven his car in the race tracks located in Mumbai, Chennai and Delhi. He also participated in several races in foreign countries, including Malaysia and Germany. Ajith has also driven car for the team “Mango Racing” at a Formula 3 race. He was recognized as the third best driver, after Narain Karthikeyan and Karun Chandok, in 2004.
Ajith Kumar dated actress Shalini after they worked together in the film “Amarkalam” in 1999. The duo tied the knot in 2000. Shalini retired as an actress after marriage and is now a full-time homemaker. The couple has a baby girl named Anoushka Kumar.
- 1992: Best New Face Award for “Prema Pustagam”
- 1999: Filmfare Best Actor Award, Filmfare Award, a Cinema Express Award and a Dinakaran Cinema Award for “Vaali”
- 2000: Cinema Express Best Artist Award for “Mugavari”, Filmfare Award (Best Supporting Actor) for “Kandukondain Kandukondain”
- 2001: Special Actor State Award for “Poovellam Un Vasam”, Filmfare Best Actor Award for “Citizen”
- 2002: Filmfare Award and Dinakaran Cinema Award for “Villain”
- 2007: Filmfare Award for Best Actor in Southfor “Varalaru”
- 1992: Prema Pustagam
- 1993: Amaravathi
- 1994: Paasamalargal, Pavithra
- 1995: Rajavin Parvaiyile, Aasai
- 1996: Vaanmathi, Kalloori Vaasal, Minor Maappillaigal, Kadhal Kottai
- 1997: Nesam, Raasi, Ullasam, Pagaivan, Rettai Jadai Vayasu
- 1998: Kadhal Mannan, Aval Varuvala, Unnidathil Ennai Koduthen, Uyirodu Uyiraga
- 1999: Unnai Thedi, Vaali, Anandha Poongatre, Nee Varuvai Ena, Amarkalam
- 2000: Mugavari, Kandukondain Kandukondain, Unnai Kodu Ennai Tharuven
- 2001: Dheena, Citizen, Poovellam Un Vasam, Asoka
- 2002: Red, Raja, Villain
- 2003: Ennai Thalatta Varuvala, Anjaneya
- 2004: Jana, Attagasam
- 2005: Ji
- 2006: Paramasivan , Thirupathi, Varalaru
- 2007: Aalwar, Kireedam, Billa
- 2008: Aegan