Wild yam root (botanical name ‘dioscorea villosa’), also known as colic root, primarily grows in Central and North America though it is found in many other parts of the world too. It is known to thrive in areas that are humid, subtropical and moderate. It is tuberous, winding creeper with pale reddish brown, timbered and barrel like tubers. It is a recurrent creeper that grows in damp undergrowths and hedges. The wild yam root is grown as a source of food by farmers, and herbalist collect the root to produce medications from it. It is said that the ancient Aztecs and Native American tribes used the root to cure conditions like boils and scabies. The other benefits of this root that the ancients knew of was that it helped in easing and curing conditions such as pregnancy sickness, wheezing related to asthma, rheumatism and dyspepsia associated with alcoholism. Scientists today have discovered that the wild yam root has multiple health benefits. Read on to know more about them here.
Health Benefits Of Wild Yam Root
High Blood Pressure
Many herbalists are of the opinion that the wild yam root helps prevent high blood pressure. However, medications made from this root have to be administered cautiously for blood pressure.
Arthritis is a painful condition where the joints of the body are inflamated. The Wild yam is thought to have restorative powers by providing anti-inflammatory pain relief to people inflicted with arthritis.
Kidney stones formations can be excruciatingly painful. They are formed in the kidneys and ureters by hard crystallized compounds. It is believed that the wild yam root can be used to avert kidney stones from forming, and facilitates urine to drain from the kidney into the bladder well. It is also known to be antispasmodic and helps relieve pain in the urinary tract.
Muscle Aches And Cramps
Wild yam root is known to ease symptoms of exhaustion, pain and cramps from muscle aches. Holistic practitioners suggest the use of wild yam root to treat premenstrual abdominal cramps. It also helps in reducing painful twinges and contractions caused by cramps.
Wild yam has been known to alleviate symptoms due to PMS and menopause. It also helps in regulating the menstrual cycle.
Other Noteworthy Benefits
- The roots of the wild yam act like a stimulant. They help in increasing bile flow; relieve hepatic blockages, bilious colic and gall bladder stones.
- It is known to decrease cholesterol which in turn boosts the competence of the liver.
- Some skin disorders like psoriasis and eczema can be taken care of with the help of the ointment made from the extracts of the wild yam root.
- Wild yam assists in the correct functioning of the nervous, excretory and digestive systems.
- Wild yam roots that have been powdered can cut down high cholesterol levels and augment illness combating antioxidant activity.
- Wild yam promotes the female reproductive system.
- It is known to aid in the prevention of cysts in the breast and may be used as a nutritional prop up for breast fibroids and cancer.
- It is helpful in gaining weight, retention of fluids in the body, low thyroid function and reducing depression.