In reply to your question, what are skin tags, we can state that a skin tag is basically a skin growth that protrudes from the body. It is usually found in wrinkled skin or fold areas of the body, such as the armpits, sides of the neck and in the groin area. Skin tags are also found on the eyelids and around the eye. Their scientific name is acrochordon or cutaneous papilloma and till date, no definite reason has been known for their occurrence. However, some probable factors are irritation from skin rubbing together, chaffing, a resistance to insulin and Human Papilloma Virus.
The occurrence of skin tags is a very common condition, which is usually seen during and after middle age. They develop in both men and women and the probability increases with age. They can be of skin color or darker and can have a size ranging between 1mm to 5mm. Though skin tags are completely harmless, they can be very hideous in appearance. However, there is no need to worry as there are a number of options available to get rid of the skin tags. To know how to get rid of skin tags, read on.
Getting Rid Of Skin Tags
- To get rid of skin tags, you can get them cut. For this, it’s better you go to a doctor. In case you wish to do it on your own, make sure you use a sanitized blade or scissor. The best option is a nail clipper. The key here is to cut the tag as close to the root as possible. As it is a little painful, numb the area beforehand, with the help of ice. Bleeding might also occur, but it will last only for a moment or two.
- Another method of getting rid of skin tags is by cauterization. This process involves burning the area to remove the tag.
- Freezing or cyrotherapy is another way to remove skin tags. For this, you will require liquid nitrogen, which is applied to the area. It causes the growth to freeze and ultimately fall off.
- You can even go for laser therapy to get rid of skin tags.
- Electro surgery or electrolysis is another option, which can be considered for removing them. These are performed by professional doctors, who destroy the growth of the skin tag.
- As a home remedy, you can tie a thread or hair strand at the base of the tag, which cuts off its blood supply, thereby causing it to dry and fall off.