As the name suggests, upper stomach pain is a pain experienced in the upper portion of the belly region. There can be a number of reasons for the occurrence of this type of pain. It can be quite severe, long-lasting and chronic at times, while at other times it can be merely a short lived condition. However, the exact location of the pain determines its root cause. For instance, pain in the upper middle abdomen indicates problem in the epigastric area, related to pancreas, gall bladder and the upper small intestine. Pain in the upper left abdomen is connected with problems of the stomach, colon, pancreas or spleen. Acute pain in the upper right abdomen denotes inflammation of the gall bladder. For more information about causes of upper abdominal pain and its home remedies, read on.
Causes of Upper Stomach Pain
- If you are experiencing an upper abdominal pain after meals, it can be due to indigestion or heartburn.
- The upper abdominal can occur due to an inflammation of the Pancreas.
- Another reason can be the occurrence of a peptic ulcer. It is caused when the lining of the stomach breaks, due to excess production of acid.
- Upper abdominal pain can result from other inflammations, such as diverticulitis and appendicitis.
- Loss of blood supply to an organ as in the case of ischemic colitis.
- Stretching or distention of an organ can also cause pain, like blocking of a bile duct by gallstones.
Remedies to Treat Upper Stomach Pain
- In case of indigestion, you can take antacids, which provide instant relief in such a situation.
- If you are suffering from peptic ulcer, the treatment involves usage of antacids, which are well regulated.
- Milk is supposed to benefit in case of indigestion or peptic ulcer as it forms a lining on the stomach, thereby reducing the ill effect of the acids produced.
- If the cause of the pain is pancreatitus, medical assistance is needed.