Birth control pills are oral contraceptive medicines, used by women, to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. This is considered as an easy way to keep a check on the size of the family. Women across the world have adopted this method of birth control since ages, predominantly due to the reason that the entire process is just as simple as popping up a pill. Moreover, birth control pills are easily available with the drug stores, over the counter. Therefore, easy accessibility has also made it a surefire method to prevent unwanted pregnancy.
Although birth control pills are effective in banishing unwanted pregnancy, medical experts say that the use of such medicines leads to adverse effects on the body and mind of the person consuming it. It is recommended that women should not pop up such pills without the prescription of doctor, because their consumption might create an imbalance in the functioning of the body, leading to a number of ailments, both physical and mental. Therefore, it is very important to think twice before opting for this method of controlling birth. In this article, we have enlisted the side effects of birth control pills. Before we learn the possible adverse effects, let us know how the birth control pills work.
How Does The Pill Work?
Birth control pills contain hormones that modify the working of the body, in order to prevent pregnancy. Estrogen and progesterone are the main hormones present in these pills, which control the process of ovulation i.e. the release of an egg during the monthly menstrual cycle. After popping up a pill, there would be no egg to be fertilized. As a result, a woman would not get pregnant. Due to the consumption of the pill, the mucus around the cervix also gets thickened, which prevents the sperm from entering the uterus and reaching any eggs that may have been released.
Adverse Effects of Contraceptive Pills
- Nausea, vomiting and bloating is quite common.
- You might experience breast tenderness and breast enlargement after popping up birth control pills on a regular basis.
- In some case, there might be formation of breast lumps
- Mild headache to severe migraine could be triggered due to the consumption of birth control pills.
- You might experience dizzy feeling and tiredness as well
- Anxiety, nervousness and depression are the possible adverse effects of the pills.
- Women having birth control pills on a regular basis might have early or late periods, with irregular bleeding
- Breakthrough bleeding and spotting between periods is also a possible adverse effect of the pills
- Birth control pills could have extreme consequence - either loss of appetite or weight gain
- Changes in vaginal discharge and vaginal infections are also seen in many cases
- One might suffer from high blood cholesterol and high blood pressure, by having birth control pills regularly
- Hair loss and changes in hair growth are common adverse effects of birth control pills.
- Enlarged ovarian follicles
- Permanent discoloration of face
- Chest pain
- Abdominal pain
- Fluid retention
- Mood swings
- Bone density loss