Christmas is one of the most eagerly awaited festivals around the world. Young and old anticipate the festive occasion with great enthusiasm and spirit. It is the time to party and gorge on food, but it is also associated with creative and artistic endeavors, which are undertaken to decorate the homes in a rather original way. There is a plethora of decorative craft ideas for children to try on Christmas. The article enlists some easy to make decoration crafts for kids, to prepare on the festive occasion. Read on to know what are the materials required and instructions to be following for making kids’ Christmas decorations.
Christmas Decoration Ideas For Children
Santa’s Beard Advent Calendar
- Tracing Paper
- Red Poster Board
- Crayons/Markers/Colored Pencils
- Cotton Balls
- Glitter/Other decorations
- Draw or trace a picture of Santa Claus’s face on the tracing paper, taking clues from either a clip art program or any other Santa picture.
- Color it well and then cut it out, using a pair of scissors. Glue the cutting on the poster board.
- Decorate the red poster board the way you like, using glitter or other decorations.
- You can display the Santa faces on the outside the walls of your house, or inside, in the living room. You can glue one cotton ball on Santa’s beard every day, starting from the beginning of December. By the time Christmas comes, your Santa will have a full grown beard.
- Styrofoam Balls (of assorted sizes)
- Thin Ribbon (any color)
- Short Straight Pins
- Glitter Glue
- Paint Brushes
- Tooth Picks
- Paint the glitter glue on the Styrofoam balls of different sizes. Apply a heavy coat of glitter glue and let the balls dry fully, before applying a second coat.
- If you have to paint the entire Styrofoam ball at once, take 3 toothpicks and stick them at the bottom of the ball, in a tripod fashion. Now, you can paint the entire ball at one go.
- Cut the ribbon and fold it in half. Using a straight pin, fasten the ends of the ribbon to the ball. For adding extra hold to the ribbon, you can dip the pin into glue, before inserting it into the ball.
- Repeat the same procedure with all the Styrofoam balls. These balls can be used to decorate your home in whatever way you like. You can collect the balls in a glass pond, or just keep them separately at various locations.
- Red, Green & White Construction Paper/Felt
- Cotton Balls
- Stickers (if using paper)
- Sequins/Ribbons/Other Decorating Items
- Cut stocking shapes out of the red colored paper/felt. Cut ‘toes’ and ‘heels’ for stockings, from green or white paper/felt.
- Glue cotton balls at the top of stockings, for creating the impression of fur.
- Decorate the stockings using sequins, ribbons and other decorative material.
- Write the names of your family members on the stockings, using the marker.
- You can punch a hole in the small stockings and thread a ribbon into them, to make them hang from a tree. Large stockings can be taped on the walls.