It is a sad sight indeed to see kids just into their teens but with BMI that of thirty year olds. This is a rising phenomenon among urban kids, and it presents a very scary picture of the future. No parents would like to see their kids get obese, but, as various reports and studies show, they are not that successful in controlling it. This is because most parents have a very vague idea of how they can ensure that their kids do not develop the obesity disorder. The first thing that they should do is to look out for signs that point towards that direction. Do not brush off unhealthy eating and the subsequent weight gain. Remember, that it is easy to gain weight but once the mass sets it is very hard to get rid of it. And also picture the host of diseases that obesity results in like, diabetes, heart diseases, and various others. If you want to protect your kids from all these things then you better start working on it. To help you in this, read below for some tips on how you can go about it.
Obesity Prevention In Children
- Keep unhealthy foods out of sight and out of reach of kids. Monitor everything that your kids eat. Don’t give them candies and snacks to keep them quiet or to reward them. When kids are introduced to candies, snacks and other junk at an early age, they tend to adopt this as a habit as they develop a taste for oily and greasy food.
- Sketch out a diet plan for your kids. This will ensure that you maintain the kids’ daily nutrient requirements. It is good to consult a nutrition expert to guide you.
- Avoid processed foods. Instead, go for whole grain products. Your dining table should groan under the weight of green leafy vegetables, fruits, juices, nuts and other healthy foods.
- Substitute snacks with fruits and nuts. Keep them within easy reach so that the kids can munch on them whenever they feel like it.
- Clean your larder of all unhealthy foods. Don’t hoard on sweets, chocolate, candies etc so that the temptation to eat those is not there.
- Dictate what the kids should eat and be absolutely clear on it.
- Make sure that the kids drink plenty of water. For this, you should not bring any cola or soda into the house. Let them have a beverage once in a while but be sure that they don’t substitute their water consumption with sodas.
- Encourage physical activity. Let them join various sports clubs and let them play as much as they want. This is good not only for a healthy body but also for a healthy mind. You should also limit their access to the computer and TV. This will encourage them to venture out.
- Needless to say exercise is a must for maintaining a healthy body. Encourage your kids to exercise more often. It is better if you can enroll your kids in children exercise programs.
- Don’t be too rigid in your endeavor to prevent obesity among kids. Give them a leeway once in a while.
- Be an example yourself. If you eat healthy then your kids are sure to follow you. Teach them why some foods are good for the body and some bad. Make them understand the value of a healthy body and how it can be gained.