A baby in the house turns your entire routine topsy turvy. Even sleep is not guaranteed. Unless you put the baby to sleep there is no way in which you can take a proper rest. And most of the parents know how hard it is to make the baby sleep. Even if you manage to put it to sleep, the baby will wake up frequently and so you will again have to employ measures to put it back to sleep. Instead of waiting for the baby to fall asleep it is always better if you know the various ways in which you can do so. Especially for a baby, sleep is of utmost importance. The natural deep sleep that the baby has is a very necessary part of its mental and physical development. It should be a cause of concern for the parents if the baby has difficulty in getting sleep or wakes up too frequently during the sleep. Read below on more information on how to make your baby sleep.
Sleeping Tips For Babies
- Maintain a regular timing. Following a routine will make it easier to put the baby to sleep. If you make a routine of putting the baby early to sleep then make sure that you also wake him or her early. Also have the baby take an afternoon nap so that it gets the proper amount of sleep.
- Feed the baby properly so that it does not feel hungry at night and wake up.
- During the day make the baby sleep in a well lit room. This will make the naps shorter and so the baby will be more prone to sleeping at night. During the night the baby should sleep in a dark room. Also avoid any forms of noise. If the baby wakes up at night then do not turn on any bright light. Switch on dim lights so that the baby knows that it is still night and time to sleep.
- Avoid wrapping the baby tightly in clothes and keep the room temperature cool.
- Make sure that the baby is sleeping on his or her back. Check if the bedding or the crib is comfortable to the baby. And see to it that the baby is dry.
- It is always better to make the babies sleep at one place. This will condition the baby to think that place is only meant for sleeping.
- When the baby starts crying before sleep then cradle him or her in your arms and rock and walk till the baby stops crying. Rocking relaxes the baby and also makes it drowsy.
- Rocking the crib while the baby is lying down is also a good way to make it sleep.
- Singing lullabies will also soothe and calm the baby and encourage it to sleep.
- Suckling also relaxes the baby and in most cases babies have a strong need to suckle. So, make the baby get used to the pacifier. During sleep the pacifier will also calm the baby.
- Sometimes change in temperature makes the baby wake up too frequently. In such cases the baby sleeping bag comes in very handy. It keeps the baby warm.
- When you are putting the baby to sleep keep a comfort object like a teddy or a cushion near it. This will make the baby find comfort and security even if he wakes up from sleep.