How To Make A Snow Globe
Snow globe is a transparent sphere that is usually made of glass. The globe holds something inside it, like a miniature Christmas tree, figurines of a couple, a miniature hut, and so on. There is water and ‘snow flakes-like’ particles inside the globe. To activate the snow, all you have to do is shake the globe or turn it upside down and the snow will start falling inside it. Snow globes are amongst the most popular Christmas presents given by people. Though they are easily available in the market, you can make them at home also. Infact, homemade snow globes surely lend a personal touch to the Christmas gift. In the following lines, we will provide you with instructions on homemade snow globes.
How to Make Your Own Snow Globe
- Acrylic Paints/Glass Paint Markers
- Baby Food Jar/ Canning Jar/ Glass Storage Jar
- Water/ Mineral Oils
- Glitter/ Sequins
- Small Plastic Toys or Figurines
- Silicone Sealant
- First of all, you will have to find a clean glass jar, which has a lid as well. You can make use of baby food jar, canning jar or even glass storage jar, for the purpose.
- Now, with the help of the silicone sealant, glue the plastic toy/figurine to the lid of the jar.
- Keep the jar aside, at a place where it will not be disturbed, and let the silicon dry overnight.
- In the meantime, you can fill the jar with glitter or sequins, which will form the snow inside the globe.
- In the morning, gently pour water into the jar, making sure that the snow is at the bottom and the jar has enough space for the toy/ figurine. You can also make use of mineral oils for the purpose.
- Put the lid on the jar, in a way that the toy/figurine completely submerges in the water.
- Squeeze a strip of silicone sealer around the lid of the jar, as you turn it around. Make sure that there are no air pockets on the silicon. This will help keep the lid in place.
- Keep the jar aside once again and let the silicon dry overnight. Make sure that it is not disturbed.
- Your snow globe is now ready! You can decorate it with the help of acrylic paint, glass paint markers, and so on, depending upon your choice.
- Before you attach the plastic toy/figurine to the lid, make sure to glue a little circle of artificial turf to it. At the same time, remember to leave the edges of the lid clean. Otherwise it might not fit tightly on the jar and lead to leakage later on.
- If you want to use mineral oil for the snow globe (in place of the normal water), but do not have access to the same, try making use of corn syrup or distilled water and a drop of glycerin in place. It will have almost the same effect as the mineral oil.
How to Cite