Flatulence or gas is something all humans experience through their entire life. While it is hard to get serious with flatulence, which is a normal bodily function, it is embarrassing for most humans. On an average, a human can pass gas from fourteen to forty times a day. Scientists who have studied the subject, time and again, have failed to come up with any real success in controlling the ‘wind’. Gas is a natural byproduct of digestion, and is composed of nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, methane, and hydrogen. One of the top researchers in the field, Michael D. Levitt, M.D, in his research, described flatulence as, “an attempt to pump some data into a field largely filled with hot air”. Gas comes basically from two sources, one is by swallowing air, which is also known as aerophagia, and the second, and the main cause, is the breakdown of foods. Flatulence can also cause bloating and pain. Gas pains can be sharp and severe but are usually short lived. The problem of flatulence can put you in awkward situations, so, you might want to explore some handy and simple remedies to get rid of it. Listed below are some tips that can help you to get rid of flatulence.
Tips To Get Rid Of Flatulence And Gas
- It is very important to practice good eating and drinking habits. Eat your meals at regular timings. Avoid keeping the stomach empty for long periods. Empty stomachs result in acidity, and production of gases. Have plenty of water and chew your food thoroughly.
- For those who are lactose intolerant, dairy and milk products can cause the stomach to bloat. Such people should reduce their dairy intake to reduce the flatulence.
- Another cause of flatulence is the high intake of fiber rich foods that people suffering from constipation start taking, all at once to get rid of it. Fiber rich food takes a longer time to digest, during which the bacteria present increases the production of gases. The best possible solution is to stop the fiber rich diet for some time, and consult a dietician on fiber consumption.
- One can control flatulence by avoiding activities that result in intake of air through the mouth like smoking, drinking liquids with a straw, and chewing gums.
- Regularly exercising early in the morning improves the functioning of the digestive system, and hence, reduces the production of gases. Doing regular exercises helps in releasing, and relieving accumulated gases in the stomach.
- Take a balanced diet, and try to cut down the amount of protein and fat rich foods. These foods take a longer time to digest, and hence, increase the chances of flatulence.
- Reduce or avoid the consumption of certain foods such as onions, apples, cabbage, brussels sprouts, and cauliflower, which are known for gas formation.
- For digestive disorders, consume smaller meals at regular intervals. This reduces the amount of time the food stays in the stomach, and so, reduces the bacterial action that causes flatulence.
- Consume herbal tea or peppermint water to soothe the stomach, and also reduce flatulence. Consumption of soda and lemon water is a natural remedy for flatulence.
- You can consider taking over-the-counter medication. There are medications that drag the gas bubbles effectively. These can also lessen the stomach overloaded with gases, through belching. They generally do not have any effect on intestinal gases.