Bhringaraj is a distinguished medicinal herb cultivated in moist places as a weed all across the world. Botanically known as Eclipta Alba, the herb is commonly known as false daisy, yerba de tago, babri, galagara, kesuri, mochkand, and so on. It is a small annual plant distributed throughout India, China, Thailand and Brazil. It has a short, flat and round stem with well-developed roots that are cylindrical and grayish in color. The plant bears small white flowers and lance shaped leaves arranged opposite to each other on a long stalk. The oil extracted from the herb is most commonly used as an ayurvedic medicine for treating hair loss, premature graying and devitalized hair. Bhringaraj is combined with other herbs for making hair rinses and conditioners. Apart from the herb’s use as oil, it is also used in the preparation of ayurvedic soaps and body wraps. Read on further to know the various uses of bhringaraj oil.
Bhringaraj Oil Uses
- Bhringaraj oil, when used for few months, helps in regaining the original color of the hair, in case of premature graying.
- By massaging the scalp and hair with bhringaraj oil, it helps in relieving the mind from stress and anxiety depression.
- Bhringaraj oil is combined with coconut oil, sesame oil and herbs, such as amla and shikakai, for making hair conditioners.
- The oil also benefits people suffering from premature hair loss, balding, dandruff and dryness of scalp.
- It nourishes the scalp and hence, avoids splitting of hair, thereby making it soft and manageable.
- Bhringaraj oil helps in inducing sleep and treating problems related to sleeplessness.
- Women with problems of repeated miscarriages and abortions are known to highly benefit from bhringaraj oil.
- The oil provides relief from post-delivery pain in the uterus and other related parts.
- It improves blood circulation in the topmost part of the body, including the head, by regularly massaging the oil. This increases the supply of oxygen to the tissues and cells and helps in removing toxins from the body.
- Massaging the oil regularly improves concentration and provides relief from migraine pain.
- Bhringaraj oil is beneficial for the overall functioning of the nervous system.
- Regular massaging of bhringaraj oil enables a person to feel young, revitalized, beautiful and healthy. It also improves the overall wellbeing of a person.
- The oil is applied externally for drawing out poisons and reducing inflammation and swollen glands.
- Application of the oil to the scalp and soles of feet at bedtime reduces pitta and encourages sound sleep.
Bhringaraj Herb Uses
- Bhringaraj herb helps in treating liver problems and protects it from toxic substances.
- The herb also effectively treats hepatic disorders like jaundice, liver cirrhosis, etc.
- Skin diseases, eye infections, hyperacidity and anemia are also treated using the bhringaraj herb.
- The leaves of the herb are minced and the paste is applied on insect bites, stings and other swellings.
- The herb is used for preparing a tonic that keeps the body healthy and fit.
- Bhringaraj forms a major ingredient in the preparation of a Rasa called Sootshekar Rasa, which is used for curing peptic ulcer, symptoms of chronic acidity, night blindness and syphilis.