Nothing is quite as unbearable as the foul smell of perspiration or sweat on the clothes. Though perspiration is good for health, it is extremely dreadful for fabrics. Apart from being smelly and stinky, sweat leaves a yellowish patch on the shirt, making it impossible to wear the garment for the next time, and if it’s a white shirt, you may as well forget it!! Remember, stinky shirts are great put-offs and are strict no-no if you eyeing to hit a social gathering. To maintain proper hygiene, it is very important to keep the fabric in good condition and a great way to do so would be to indulge in regular washing. However, sometimes, even after you have washed the garments, the smell still retains. If you are suffering from the same problem and are looking for ways to get the foul sweat smell odor out of the clothes, this article would come handy. In the following lines, we have provided tips on how to get perspiration smells out of the clothes.
Getting Foul Sweat Odor Out of Clothes
- One of the easy and effective ways to get the perspiration smell out of clothes is to hang them out in the sun. Exposure to sunlight is the best way to get rid of any foul smell. In case of delicate clothes, you can hang them inside out in a place that receives indirect sunlight. The clothes would not only be crisp, but also smell good.
- Before laundering the clothes, you must pre-treat them with an enzyme. Soak them in the enzyme for some time, but make sure that the clothes are not linen, silk or wool.
- You can also add 1 tablespoon of ammonia to half a cup of water and pour it over the stained area of the garment. Leave it for an hour and then wash the garment as usual. Allow the garment to dry in the air.
- Lingerie perspiration odor can be treated by soaking the entire garment in about a gallon of warm salt water and leaving it overnight.
- Another way of getting the perspiration smell out of clothes is to add about two cups of baking soda to the detergent that you are using. This works on almost all odors, on any type of garment.
- Borax powder can also be used, along with hot water and good quality detergent, to get the perspiration odor out of clothes.
- You can also soak the garments in a bucket of water, to which 1-cup vinegar has been added, and leave it overnight. In most of the cases, this works in taking the foul smell off the clothes.
- Another method to get perspiration smell out of clothes is to soak the underarms of garment in undiluted rubbing alcohol for several hours. Thereafter, wash it out, using warm water.
- Though it sounds strange, a combination of cream of tartar and aspirin works well for removing the foul smell from clothes. For this, mix a tbsp of cream of tartar with three crushed full-strength aspirins, in a cup of warm water. Using a toothbrush, scrub the stained area with the same and leave it for 20 minutes. Rinse the cloth with warm water, until the paste is absolutely removed.
- In case you want to get rid of perspiration stain and smell from your white shirts, hydrogen peroxide will be of help. Mix equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and water and pour this liquid onto the stain, allowing it to soak for at least 30 minutes.Rinse off the shirts and let them air dry. For an intractable stain or smell, use heavier dose of hydrogen peroxide.