Have you noticed your favorite earrings turning a bit dull and cloudy? The precious stone-studded ring does not shine like before? To make your jewelry look brand new all the time, it is essential to keep them clean and dirt free. Due to your daily exposure to water, soap and dirt, it is quite natural that your jewellery tends to look dull and discolored. Worry not! Cleaning jewelry at home is probably the best way to get them to shine once again like new. A few household items can really do wonders for making your jewelry look like brand new. Just go through this information on how to clean jewelry.
Gold and Platinum Jewelry
- The best way to clean gold or platinum is by using the jewelry cleaner that is available in jewelry stores. Dip it in the solution, rinse thoroughly in warm water and then rub it dry with a lint-free cloth.
- Else, take a mild dishwashing liquid and put a few drops in 2 cups of warm water. Dip a lint-free cloth in it and rub the jewelry with the cloth. Within no time, your jewelry will be shiny.
- If there is dirt accumulated in small corners, consider using a soft brush for picking it off the corners. Never brush roughly, use gentle strokes in one direction to get rid off it.
- Silver jewelry can be cleaner using the non-abrasive silver metal cleaner that can be bought from any jewelry store. Just apply the liquid on the stains and gently rub with a lint-free cloth till it shines.
- Fluoride toothpaste can also be used to make silver jewellery. Just take a bit of paste in your finger and gently rub the silver with it. Take a soft cloth and rub gently to make it shine.
- Don’t wear silver when you go to pools as chlorine in the water will destroy it.
- Jewelry with gemstones should be soaked in warm, mildly soapy water for a couple of hours. Then, take it out and rub with a soft cloth to make it shine.
- Don’t use cleaners and chemicals on stones as they may react to the chemicals.